Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Millwall: Half Time

29 May 2016

Club News

Reds v Millwall: Half Time

29 May 2016

Reds 2
Millwall 1

Barnsley head in 2-1 up at half time against Millwall in the League One Play Off final at Wembley Stadium.

Ashley Fletcher got the party started inside the opening two minutes, firing home Sam Winnall's flick on and came close to doubling his tally soon after, but saw his angled effort saved.

Adam Hammill deliciously bent home the second for the Reds on 19 minutes, unleashing a 25-yard rocket that left Jordan Archer clasping at thin air but responded 10 minutes before half time through Mark Beevers.

Josh Brownhill failed to increase the lead on the stroke of half time with an ambitious long range effort but the Reds ended the first half on top.

The Lions themselves could have opened the scoring inside the first minute when Mark Beevers headed Chris Taylor's delivery wide of the mark before Fletcher drilled another angled effort at Millwall keeper Jordan Archer.

Millwall threatened first when Mark Beevers headed Chris Taylor's free kick well wide of the mark inside the opening minute but the Reds hit back in emphatic fashion seconds later.

With less than two minutes on the watch, Sam Winnall's clever flick-on was superbly controlled by Ashley Fletcher, who spun away from the Millwall defenders before firing across Jordan Archer and into the bottom corner.

Fletcher came close to doubling his tally on 13 minutes, firing straight at Archer after running on to Josh Scowen's through ball but the Reds did not have to wait too much longer for a second.

In the 19th minute, Adam Hammill collected the ball almost inside his own half, skipped inside the Millwall defenders before unleashing an unstoppable 25-yard effort into the top corner, beyond the helpless Archer.

Steve Morison failed to test Adam Davies with a tame header from a long throw while George Williams went into the book just before the half hour for a strong challenge on Chris Taylor but the Lions pulled one back 10 minutes before half time.

Barnsley failed to clear their lines from a corner and the ball broke loose to Beevers, who poked home after Tony Craig had scuffed his initial shot.

An injury to Millwall defender Joe Martin forced Aiden O'Brien on just before the break while Josh Brownhill's audacious 30-yard shot flew over the crossbar as the first half drew to a close.

Reds: Davies, Scowen, Mawson, Roberts, G. Williams, Isgrove, Brownhill, Hourihane, Hammill, Fletcher, Winnall
Subs: Townsend, Nyatanga, McCourt, Watkins, Chapman, Toney, A. White

Millwall: Archer, Edwards, Craig, Beevers, Martin (O'Brien, 43' ), Ferguson, Abdou, Thompson, Taylor, Morison, Gregory
Subs: Forde, Williams, Upson, Onyedinma, Nelson, Philpot

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account