Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Walsall v Reds: Full Time

5 March 2016

Club News

Walsall v Reds: Full Time

5 March 2016

Walsall 1 (Bradshaw 29)
Reds 3 (Fletcher 18, Brownhill 50, Chapman 56)

A second-half blitz by Barnsley saw them breeze past fellow Play-Off contenders Walsall with the Reds hitting three incredible goals.

It was all square at half time with Ashley Fletcher scoring a brilliant solo goal but the goals got even better in the second half. Josh Brownhill thundered home an absolute screamer from 25 yards before Harry Chapman ran the whole of the Walsall half to slot home. The Reds just keep going.

The Reds started the brighter of the two teams with Chapman breaking well inside the first minute, teeing Williams up to win a corner. Hourihane's delivery from the resulting corner was steered wide by the head of Marley Watkins.

At the other end on three minutes, Sawyers found a pocket of space as he was picked out by Demetriou but his cross along the face of goal drifted out for a goal-kick.

Barnsley were pressing their opponents well and it almost paid off on 11 minutes as Hourihane latched onto a poor clearance to blast just over the bar from 20 yards.

With 14 played the game saw its best piece of action for the opening period as Anthony Forde bent a delightful free-kick 22 yards out that crashed off the post and away. The Reds felt a little hard done by as the original free-kick for a foul by Roberts on Sawyers appeared harsh.

The opening goal came on 18 minutes thanks to a brilliant piece of individual play by Ashley Fletcher. The Manchester United loanee ran at his man and checked to go inside but took his man on the outside before lashing into the far corner.

The hosts got a lucky leveller on 29 minutes after a ball dropped fortuitously at the feet of Bradshaw. Davies saved well from Taylor's effort after a shot was blocked into his path but from the rebound Bradshaw tapped in.

There was a lengthy break in play on 35 minutes as the referee Christopher Sarginson pulled up with an injury. He was replaced by the linesman with the Fourth Official taking the flag.

Four minutes were added as the home side were just about edging the second quarter of the match.

Second half

Barnsley came flying out of the traps for the second half and were almost in front once more by the 48th minute. Roberts came across to the right to launch in a trademark long throw, the ball dropped for Fletcher six yards out but he stabbed just wide.

On 50 minutes Barnsley blasted their way back into the lead with a phenomenal strike. From 25 yards Josh Brownhill picked up on a clearance from Fletcher's run and he hammered a dipping shot into the roof of the net. It was an incredible goal for his first Reds strike.

The next chance saw Barnsley hit the net once again with yet another superb goal. Harry Chapman sprang a counter from halfway but he went all the way himself down the left. Under pressure he prodded home in front of the travelling Tykes for his first senior goal. 

Yet another injury caused a lengthy break in play as this time Morris took a whack from his own goalkeeper as he cleared a free-kick from his own box.

Barnsley's confidence was simply oozing and a lovely 10-pass move of one touch passing saw Isgrove charge into the box to be brought down but nothing was given.

The Reds were in complete control and their pass completion looked to be through the roof as the Reds kept the ball with ease. But Walsall broke on 76 minutes seeing Lalkovic have a free shot at goal only for Davies to save well.

After only being on the field for a couple of minutes, Walsall substitute Jordan Cook limped off injured meaning his side would finish with 10 men.

Barnsley continued to control and their confidence was evident with a couple of tricks by Fletcher and some fantastic one-touch passages of play.

Seven minutes of added time was indicated, following the earlier injury to Morris and the referee but it brought no more real action as Barnsley cruised to yet another win in style.


Walsall: Etheridge, Demtriou, Taylor, O'Connor, Downing, Chambers, Mantom, Bradshaw (Cook 78), Sawyers (Hiwula 66), Forde, Morris (Lalkovic 66).
Subs: MacGillavray, Henry, Preston, Morris.

Reds: Davies, G. Williams, Connolly, Roberts, Mawson, Isgrove (Scowen 81), Chapman, Hourihane, Brownhill, Fletcher, Watkins.
Subs: Townsend, McCourt, Nyatanga, Smith, Tuton, Khan.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account