Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stalybridge Celtic v Reds Full Time

9 July 2016

Stalybridge 0
Barnsley 2

The Reds made a perfect start to pre-season with a 2-0 win over Stalybridge Celtic.

Adam Hammill netted the opener from the penalty spot 10 minutes into the second half after Stefan Payne’s shot had been handled in the area.

Hammill and Kayden Jackson both came close to doubling the lead with teasing efforts and six minutes from time, Jack Cowgill flicked home Hammill’s delivery for the decisive goal.

First half efforts from Elliott Lee and Josh Scowen had failed to break the deadlock, while Stalybridge’s Henoc Mukendi had volleyed into the side netting midway through the half.

An early cross from Dylan Henry proved just too long after a period of steady build-up while Elliott Lee’s sixth minute free kick stung the palms of home stopper Tony McMillan.

Kristian Platt fired over just past the quarter hour and Henoc Mukendi’s lob moments later had the beating of Nick Townsend, but not the covering Marc Roberts.

Josh Scowen’s jinking 20th minute run saw him dance past four Stalybridge challenges but fire the resulting effort over the crossbar from a difficult angle.

Another blasting run from Lee created an opening but his pull back was just behind George Moncur and Scowen’s follow-up was blazed over on the half hour.

Stalybridge’s best opportunity came three minutes later as Darius Osei turned Henoc Mukendi’s cross into the side netting.

Another excellent spell of passing saw Henry and Moncur combine to give Lee another sight of goal, only to bend the effort just wide of the far post.

Half time replacement Stefan Payne saw his route to goal blocked by a Celtic arm 10 minutes after the restart, allowing Adam Hammill to coolly fire home from the spot.

It could have been 2-0 moments later as Shaun Tuton darted through the heart of the Stalybridge defence but his angled effort could not beat the goalkeeper.

The lively Kayden Jackson rounded the goalkeeper four minutes before the hour but hit the side netting from a tight angle while Townsend was forced to make a good stop to deny the hosts levelling on the hour.

On 65 minutes, Hammill broke through again after Payne had knocked down into his path but was denied by another fine save, with Jack Cowgill heading Conor Hourihane’s delivery just over the bar.

Barnsley kept applying the pressure, Tuton again firing an effort on target while a long ball forward saw the hosts threaten with an effort from distance.

Eleven minutes from time, Payne latched onto a Jackson through ball but was denied by another fine stop while the latter failed to hit the target with an angled effort when one-on-one moments later.

Six minutes from time, the Reds did double their lead as Hammill’s teasing delivery was flicked home by the head of Jack Cowgill.

Hammill could have added a second goal in the final minute after darting down the flank but fired just wide of the target.

Reds First Half: Townsend, Bree, Roberts, Mawson, White, Henry, Moncur, Scowen, Lee, Winnall, Watkins.

Reds Second Half: Townsend, Yiadom, Cowgill, Nyatanga, Evans, Tuton, Harris, Hourihane, Hammill, Payne, Jackson.

Stalybridge: McMillan, Wylie, Astley, Hughes, Ryan, Platt, Osei, Wright, Farrell, Craig, Mukendi.

Subs: Lynch, Gray, Owens, Matthews, Freeland.

Advertisement block