Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Penistone Church 0 Reds XI 1

27 July 2016

Penistone Church FC 0-1 Reds XI
A second half Charlie Harris strike gave a very youthful Barnsley side a deserved win against local side Penistone Church. In a match the Reds dominated, a single goal from Harris midway through the second half was enough to give Mark Burton’s side the victory.
The match began with the Reds putting the home-side instantly on the back-foot. Attacking play, showing short neat passing earnt a succession of corners but nothing came of them. Chances weren’t coming clear cut for Barnsley, so plenty of shots from distance were being taken, coming close on more than one occasion but generally just off target.
That was the case until 16 minutes, when the Reds thought they had taken the lead through one of a few trialists featuring in the side, but the goal was ruled out for offside. Shortly after the disallowed goal, tricky winger James Carvell produced an excellent moment as he controlled the ball on his chest before volleying towards the top corner, only for Penistone’s number one to keep it out.
Shortly after, Carvell was being thwarted by the ‘keeper for a second time as he curled a free-kick towards the home-sides net, only to be denied by another top save. No more chances followed up until the half-time whistle, but the Reds had dominated and were unlucky not to go in front.
Half Time: Penistone Church 0-0 Reds XI
Straight from kick-off to the second half, attacking intent was being shown from Burton’s youthful side. Elliot Kebbie produced an excellent run and cross into the box, only for the ball to be cannoned off the post, before the lively Carvell slotted the rebound just wide.
It took until twenty minutes remaining – and a substitution – for the deadlock to be broken. Charlie Harris came off the bench and immediately made an impact by picking the ball up 20 yards out and firing into the back of the net, via a deflection.
It was nothing more than the Reds deserved, and chances continued to come. It was Harris again who nearly doubled the lead, following a quick free-kick routine.
The ball was laid off to the central midfielder, but his effort was again well saved.

Bits of play at either end of the field were then exchanged, but no more goals followed and the Reds had gained a win they were thoroughly good value for.
Full Time: Penistone Church 0-1 Reds XI

Advertisement block