Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Guiseley 0-2 Reds.

12 July 2016

Barnsley secured back-to-back 2-0 friendly wins with a comfortable victory over Vanarama National League side Guiseley at Nethermoor.

Despite having less of the ball, the hosts created the first clear chance as Michael Rankine fired just wide after capitalizing on a loose ball.

The Reds did open the scoring midway through the half as Adam Hammill’s teasing ball was volleyed home by James Carvell from close range, who fired wide in search for a second soon after.

Barnsley doubled their lead seven minutes into the second half as half time replacements Kayden Jackson and Stefan Payne combined with the latter blasting home from the edge of the box.

Jackson almost made it 3-0 late on with two fine efforts but found the home goalkeeper in fine form late on.
The Reds created their first real chance six minutes in as Adam Hammill drifted in from the left but fired a tame shot at the Guiseley stopper and Andy Yiadom’s ball in moments later threatened to cause more confusion.

Michael Rankine came close to opening the scoring inside the opening quarter, firing just wide after latching onto a loose ball from Alfie Mawson.

The Reds opened the scoring as James Carvell volleyed home Hammill’s inviting delivery with 22 minutes on the watch.

Adam Lockwood looped a header went just over the top for the Lions on the half hour before an error in the Reds defence almost allowed Rankine in, but he scuffed the effort wide.

Carvell came close to doubling his tally soon after when he cut in from the right but drilled just wide of the far post while Adam Boyes could not increase the tally as his effort just before the break was smothered by Adam Davies.

Kayden Jackson flicked a header wide two minutes into the second half but played a part in the move that brought the Reds’ second goal. Shaun Tuton pinched the ball back ad fed Jackson, who in turn slipped in Stefan Payne to score his first goal for the Reds since joining from Dover.

The Reds controlled the ball for long spells but could not increase their lead as the Guiseley back line stood firm.

Josh Scowen’s floated ball in proved just too long for Jackson nine minutes from time while Guiseley lashed wide of the target five minutes from time.

Jackson lashed into the gloves of the Lions’ goalkeeper in the final three minutes and tried his luck with an ambitious 20-yard effort but could not add his name to the scoresheet.

Reds First Half Line Up: Davies, Evans, Roberts, Carvell, Hammill, Hourihane, Winnall, Moncur, Watkins, Yiadom, Mawson.

Reds Second Half Line Up: Davies, Bree, White, Scowen, Nyatanga, Jackson, Payne, Cowgill, Carvell (Templeton 60), Tuton, Harris.

All the goals and reaction from the Reds 2-0 win away at Guiseley will soon be able to watch on Barnsley Player HD.

Advertisement block