Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shrewsbury Town v Reds: Full Time

16 January 2016

Club News

Shrewsbury Town v Reds: Full Time

16 January 2016

Shrewsbury Town 0 
Reds 3 (Winnall 15, 21, Mawson 72)

Three goals and three points were richly deserved after a dominant display in Shropshire saw Barnsley cruise to victory over Shrewsbury Town.

A first-half brace from Sam Winnall set the Reds on their way but Lee Johnson was grateful to 'keeper Adam Davies who saved a first-half penalty to keep the Reds in control.

Alfie Mawson added a third with less than 20 minutes left to treat the 789 diehard Tykes in the freezing cold to a third consecutive league victory.

An early ball in from Bree on four minutes almost found Marley Watkins in the box but Jack Grimmer did well to recover and clear for a Barnsley corner.

Two minutes later, Sam Winnall had half a sight of goal following a decent White delivery but he probably should have teed up Hourihane who was lurking on the edge of the box as Winnall saw his effort blocked by a crowd of Shrews defenders.

On 11 minutes Winnall went even closer as he rose highest to meet Hourihane's corner but Junior Brown was in the right place on the line to head clear.

With quarter of an hour played there was no stopping Winnall with this attempt as he blasted Barnsley into the lead. Davies cleared downfield and the ball broke for Barnsley's number nine who raced into the box to lash home low as the ball dropped over his shoulder.

On 21 minutes Winnall made Shrewsbury pay again as he doubled his side's lead. The striker picked up possession midway through the Shrews' half, charged at goal before planting a shot low and beyond Halstead's grasp from outside the box.

Marley Watkins will have felt hard done by on 27 minutes after the forward finished off a brilliant sweeping Barnsley move. Bree charged forward, exchanged passes with Winnall before slipping Watkins in.

The Reds were in complete control with the hosts not really getting a look-in. Hammill was looking his dangerous self and almost saw his deflected cross drop in but Halstead turned it over the bar.

On 41 minutes, the hosts were handed a lifeline into a game that had seen them offer virtually nothing all half. Mangan was hauled back by Bree in the box leaving the referee with no hesitation to point to the spot. Manga dusted himself down but Davies was more than equal to his penalty with a fine, low save.

In first-half stoppage-time, Adam Davies again came to his side's rescue again when Knight-Percival rose unmarked to head at goal from six yards. All of Greenhous Meadow was waiting for the net to bulge but Davies turned over with a wonderful one-handed stop.

Second half

The home side made a triple change at the break with boss Micky Mellon not happy at all with his side's first-half showing. Wellens, Wallace and Vassell came on for the Shrews who had only come close from the spot and a free header by Knight-Percival.

Shrews enjoyed plenty of the ball in the opening quarter-of-an-hour of the second period but failed to carve any real chances. The closest they came on the hour was from a low Grimmer drive but Davies held well at his near post.

Hourihane had a free-kick curl over the bar after Isgrove was cynically blocked by Whitbread who got a booking for his troubles.

The Reds were defending well and having to weather a bit of a mild storm from the hosts - but the home fans were growing increasingly frustrated at their side's lack of creativity.

With 20 minutes left, Winnall thought he had secured his had-trick as his shot powered into the side-netting via a slight deflection. Barnsley were still looking a real threat going forward with Brown unable to cope with Hammill down the Reds' left.

On 72 minutes, Conor Hourihane whipped in a dangerous corner that was met by Alfie Mawson's header. His initial attempt was blocked on the line but he absolutely blasted it home in front of the 789 travelling Tykes to make it 3-0.

Barnsley went in search of a fourth goal as the away fans sang their hearts out in the freezing cold. Hammill's cross almost dropped for Winnall but Shrewsbury cleared moments before Winnall did get a shot away but blasted over.

Lee Johnson's side cruised to victory to make it three consecutive league wins.


Shrews: Halstead, Whitbread, Black (Wellens 46), Brown, Gerrard, Grimmer, Vernon (Vassell 46), Mangan, Knight-Percival, Clark (Wallace 46), Cole.
Subs: Leutwiler, Grandison, Whaller, Akpa Akpro.

Reds: Davies, Bree (Roberts 90+1), Long, Hourihane, Winnall, Brownhill, Watkins (R. Williams 83), Hammill, Mawson, Isgrove (Fletcher 73), A. White.
Subs: Townsend, Abbott, G. Williams, H.White.

Referee: P. Gibbs.

Attendance: 5, 446 (789 Reds).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account