Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s: Huddersfield 4 Reds 3

22 February 2016

Club News

U18s: Huddersfield 4 Reds 3

22 February 2016

Huddersfield U18s 4-3 Barnsley U18s

The young Reds were on the losing end of a seven-goal thriller away at Huddersfield Town, as three goals in nine second half minutes were enough for the home-side to secure victory despite a stunning 30 yard strike from Reds defender Sam Otley being the highlight of an entertaining game.

The match began with both teams attacking from the outset. Chances were flowing and it didn’t take long for the scoring to be opened. Town skipper Jack Boyle picked up the ball on the edge of the area and powerfully curled home an effort in off the bar to make 1-0.

The Reds responded quickly with pressure of their own, but Brooke in the Terriers net was standing strong. The pressure paid off eventually though and on 26 minutes we had an equaliser. Mo Saeed broke free down the left hand side and cut the ball back, which evaded everyone except for Sam Otley who smashed a 30 yard thunderbolt into the top corner.

Just before half time the Reds could have gone in front through captain Louis Wardle. Wardle was played through on goal by Wade Maxwell but saw his effort get tipped wide of the goal. With that, the half time whistle was blown with the score 1-1.

The second half began disastrously for the Reds with three quick-fire Huddersfield goals. In the space of nine minutes, two goals from Rekeil Pyke, a tap into an empty net and a header, along with another neat finish Adam Edgar saw the hosts take a 4-1 lead.

The game seemed all but over with that score line but the Reds refused to give up. With Brooke still making plenty of good saves, it was frustrating but eventually the reply came.

Maxwell picked up a pass in the area, turned his man and fired into the top corner to make it 4-2. Straight from kick off the Reds won the ball back and Louis Rowe played in Mo Saeed to get the score back to 4-3. Unfortunately, the referee blew his whistle almost instantly after kick off to signal full time and stop the Reds from searching for another.

After a thrilling game, but a disappointing score line, Martin Devaney gave his thoughts on his team’s performance.

Devaney explained, “First half we weren’t clinical in taking our chances and going in 1-1 at half time, our lads had been on top. Second half they showed a bit of quality in a ten-minute spell and scored a few goals.

“Our lads showed a good reaction to that and scored a couple of goals late on, so overall I am disappointed because I thought we could have won the game.

“Not being clinical enough in front of goal cost us, if you don’t take your chances you face the consequences and we could have been three up in the first half. They had chances one after another and took them.

“The lads worked hard and showed good endeavour, but we need to take chances and put our bodies on the line in our own half.”

Reds XI: Walton (GK), Otley, Hanna, Jeffs, Dolan, Wardle, Griffin, Callaway, Saeed, Maxwell, Palmer.

Subs: Alton, Rowe, McGowan, Lund, W. Smith.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account