Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Doncaster Rovers: Full Time

20 February 2016

Club News

Reds v Doncaster Rovers: Full Time

20 February 2016

Reds 1 (Fletcher 81)
Doncaster Rovers 0

Ashley Fletcher is the hero as Barnsley claimed the honours in the South Yorkshire derby for a fully-deserved three points.

The Reds recorded their fifth home league win for the first time in almost 20 years, after a bright and determined display from Heckingbottom's Reds.

The first chance fell for the Reds and it was almost 1-0 inside the second minute, after Sam Winnall connected well with Bree's cross only to head wide. It was a good move started by Hammill who find Isgrove, his cross was blocked into Bree's path who then put in a great delivery for Winnall to power wide from eight yards.

Again the Reds came at Rovers and almost hit the net through Hammill. After initially behind hauled back, the referee waved advantage but Hammill could only scuff at the 'keeper from inside the box.

With 11 played Conor Hourihane blasted over the bar after being put through - the midfielder took his shot early but Hammill went even closer seconds later. After drifting in from the left, he curled an effort towards the top corner but Stuckmann tipped it past the post for a corner.

The Reds were pressing Rovers well and forced an error in midfield to allow Hourihane the chance to feed Hammill - the winger's shot was deflected wide for another corner as Barnsley were well on top.

With just over 20 minutes in, the Reds were dealt a blow as White was cynically hacked down from behind by Grant who was shown a yellow card. White had to be withdrawn for George Williams after a lengthy break in play.

After play resumed the Reds continued to put the pressure on the visitors and came close once more. Alfie Mawson this time with a free header, meeting Hourihane's corner only to head at Stuckmann with 28 played.

Barnsley's corners were causing mayhem in the Doncaster box, with Stuckmann diving to punch a Mawson header clear after initially failing to punch away first time on 42 minutes.

At the other end Paul Keegan swept an effort wide as the visitors saw a rare sight of goal - it was a decent chance for the Rovers skipper who connected well with Cedric Evina's pull-back 20 yards out.

It was surely only a matter of time as a Roberts long throw special was eventually picked upon by Hammill, he laid it off for Watkins whose shot was blocked in the six-yard box.

Four minutes of added time came, following the lengthy treatment of White's injury.

Second half 

Unhappy with his side's display, Ferguson opted to bring veteran James Coppinger into action at the expense of youngster Harry Middleton.

Three minutes into the second period, Isgrove robbed Stewart and charged at goal, forcing Lund to turn behind with a great delivery looking for Winnall.

A first clear sight at goal for the visitors came on 55 minutes as Coppinger sent Lund free into the box but the full-back could only hammer straight at Davies.

Paul Heckingbottom threw the dice with a double change on the hour, with Ashley Fletcher and Josh Scowen replacing Lloyd Isgrove and Josh Brownhill.

On 67 minutes Adam Hammill sent Fletcher away on the inside right but McCullogh blocked his low drive into Stuckmann's hands. Seconds later Hourihane tested the hands of Stuckmann as the tall goalkeeper had to palm away his rising drive from 20 yards.

With chances having dried up somewhat, Winnall was next to have a pop at goal following Hourihane's good tackle. Stuckmann did well to claim the striker's effort after it flew from the edge of the box through a crowd of defenders on 80 minutes.

Finally Barnsley found the net and it was no less than they deserved. Hourihane picked up on Hammill's lay-off in midfield, charged at goal before cracking a low effort which Stuckmann palmed into Fletcher's path to tuck home.

On 85 minutes Hammill was next to have a shot at goal - Barnsley's 15th of the match - with Stuckmann holding onto it this time from the winger's curling effort.

Three minutes of added time was indicated by the Fourth Official.


Reds: Davies, Bree, A. White (G. Williams 25) , Mawson, Roberts, Watkins, Isgrove (Fletcher 60), Hourihane (c), Hammill, Brownhill (Scowen 60), Winnall.
Subs: Townsend, Tuton, Nyatanga, Khan.

Doncaster Rovers: Stuckmann, Lund, Evina, McCullough, Williams, Tyson, Keegan (c) (Gooch 82), Taylor-Sinclair, Grant, Stewart (Alcock 53), Middleton (Coppinger 46).
Subs: Marosi, Mandeville, Chaplow, Butler.

Attendance: 11,638 (1,421 Donny)

Fantastic Media Man of the Match: Adam Hammill

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account