Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury v Reds: Full Time

23 February 2016

Bury 0
Reds 0

Barnsley held on for what proved to be a very good point but have been dealt with a massive blow as Adam Hammill saw red late on, meaning he misses the next three games.

Fresh from Saturday's derby day win over Doncaster, the Reds made two changes to their starting eleven. Josh Scowen replaced Josh Brownhill whilst Aidy White missed out through injury, meaning George Williams came in at left-back.

After a fairly quiet opening, the Reds saw a great chance blocked by Peter Clarke from Alfie Mawson. Roberts' delivery dropped for the centre-half but his vicious strike hit the back of his counterpart on eight minutes. Moments later, Hourihane blazed a great chance at the far post following a deep Hammill corner.

An even better chance fell the Reds' way on 11 minutes as they continued their bright start. Winnall sent Isgrove in with a very clever through-ball but Lawlor denied the winger's low effort with his legs as the angle tightened.

The Reds were having to wait for the opening goal as on 18 minutes, Adam Hammill's corner dropped for Winnall just inside the area and his powerful volley dipped just over the crossbar.

Former Red Danny Rose was introduced early as veteran striker Ryan Lowe was withdrawn through injury on 19 minutes.

Josh Scowen picked up a booking on 25 minutes after taking a swipe at Tutte as the midfielder looked to break.

Seconds later a similar challenge to deliberately halt Isgrove's promising run to the box saw Soares' name etched into the referee's book. From the resulting free-kick 20 yards out and just right of centre, Adam Hammill curled his effort into the wall.

After a couple of tasty challenges brought some fire to the clash, Josh Scowen forced Lawlor into a fine save with a fierce rising 30-yard drive - a goal-kick was given.

George Williams produced some top-drawer defending as he very neatly headed away Tutte's deep delivery, allowing Davies to gather on 40 minutes.

Second half

The hosts came out of the traps quickly in the second half and forced a couple of corners in quick succession. 

Barnsley took a little while to get back into the groove - Watkins did well to win a 53rd-minute free-kick out on the left but nothing came from Hammill's delivery.

On the stroke of 57 minutes, Lawlor made a good low save to his left as Winnall connected well with Hammill's delivery. The striker glanced towards the far post with a fine header but the Man City loanee was equal to his effort.

Adam Hammill's corner caused havoc on 64 minutes but after the ball rebounded his way, he skipped past Mayor only to blast straight at Lawlor at his near post.

It was a tough slog of a contest on an incredibly difficult surface. Barnsley were trying to play on the deck, but the bobbling ball proved difficult to control.

Conor Hourihane swung in a dangerous corner on 68 minutes that Lawlor flapped at. Mawson was on hand to try and nod home as he out-jumped Clarke but the 'keeper recovered to gather on the line.

On 72 minutes, Paul Heckingbottom opted for a double change as Ashley Fletcher and Josh Brownhill were introduced for Marley Watkins and Josh Scowen.

With 83 gone Barnsley were dealt a massive blow as Adam Hammill was shown a straight red card for a foul on Danny Rose. Barnsley had a mountain to climb to keep hold of a point. The bigger blow was the fact that Hammill is now set to miss three games.

The Reds needed to hang on for a further five minutes as that was the amount indicated of added-on time by the Fourth Official.

Bury were huffing and puffing with the tiring legs of the Tykes standing strong. Long throw after long throw from former Red Reece Brown was repelled by the brave defence. The 985 travelling Reds responded to their side's big effort with a cry of 'come on Barnsley' in the 95th minute as Heckingbottom's men held on.


Bury: Lawlor, Riley, Hussey, Tutte, P. Clarke, Mayor (O'Sullivan 78), Pope, Jones, Lowe (Rose 19 (Mellis 87)), Soares, Brown.
Subs: Ruddy, Mellis, Burgess, Pugh, Miller.

Reds: Davies, Bree, G. Williams, Mawson, Roberts, Hourihane, Scowen (Brownhill 72), Hammill, Isgrove, Winnall, Watkins (Fletcher 72).
Subs: Townsend, Smith, Nyatanga, Tuton, Khan.

Referee: Carl Boyeson.

Att: 3,160 (985 Reds)

Advertisement block