Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

U18s | REPORT: Sheffield United 2-2 Barnsley

10 December 2016

Fixture News

U18s | REPORT: Sheffield United 2-2 Barnsley

10 December 2016

Last gasp Mo Saeed strike rescues a well deserved point for the Reds!

Barnsley Under 18s came from behind to secure a draw against South Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United this morning.

Mo Saeed came off the bench to secure a point for Chris Howarth and Martin Devaney's side in the final knockings of the game and prevent the Blades from retaking top spot.

Despite taking the lead into half time through Louis Rowe's smart finish, two goals in eleven second half minutes had the Reds chasing the game.

Cameron Simpson and Saeed both had earlier chances to level but were denied by flying saves by Hugo Warhurst while Joe Cummings saw a 25-yard piledriver tipped over by Jake Greatorex.

The Reds began the stronger of the two sides, forcing the issue inside the opening 60 seconds when Louis Rowe drifted inside from the flank and drew a save out of Warhurst.

United hit back, striking the bar through Tom Casey before Kane Swinburn fired over from the edge of the area at the end of a surging run down the middle.

Just before the half hour, the game opened up and gave the Reds the opening goal.

Sham Bertie created room for a cross on the left and clipped the ball to the feet of Rowe, who expertly controlled, spun, and fired home from six yards.

A succession of corners failed to trouble Jake Greatorex in the Reds goal while Wolfe came close to doubling the lead, heading Swinburn's delivery on target.

Simpson went in the book in the final minute of the half for blocking a counter attack but the Reds ended the half leading by a single goal.

HALF TIME: Sheffield United 0-1 Barnsley

The Blades came out firing after the interval and levelled the scores within three minutes of the restart as a low ball from the left was tapped home at the far post by Tyler Smith.

Smith was denied a second moments later by a good reaction save from Greatorex before both 'keepers showed off their athleticism.

First, Warhurst sprung to his right to keep out Simpson's driven effort, before Joe Cummings' ferocious effort from long range was tipped over by Greatorex.

From the resulting corner, the hosts were awarded a penalty for an apparent foul in the area, which bemused both sets of players and coaches.

The United midfielder stepped up and tucked the ball past Greatorex to give the Blades the lead for the first time in the contest.

Tom Casey tested Greatorex again with a bending effort before Swinburn tested Wahurst again with a driven effort.

Substitute Mo Saeed latched onto Swinburn's excellent through ball before attempting to chip Warhurst, with the stopper just about able to push the effort away.

Adam Lund received a caution for a late challenge eight minutes from time before the Reds levelled the contest two minutes from time.

A ball across the face of goal was missed by everyone, except Saeed, who was on hand to smash home at the back post to earn a point.

And Saeed almost won it in the final minute as his powerful effort had to be pushed around the post by Warhurst.

Reds: Greatorex (GK), Smith, Lund, Miller (Saeed, 61' ), Simpson, Bertie, Wolfe, Tingle (Clare, 84' ), Swinburn, McGowan (Ocran, 67' ), Rowe.

Subs: Kendrick (GK), Greenfield.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account