Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

U18s | REPORT: Barnsley 0-1 Carlisle United

16 December 2016

Fixture News

U18s | REPORT: Barnsley 0-1 Carlisle United

16 December 2016

Reds knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by first half strike from Keiran Hall.

Barnsley Under 18s were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup after suffering a bitter 1-0 defeat at Oakwell to Carlisle United Under 18s.

Despite controlling the first half and fashioning the better of the chances, the Reds fell behind to Kieran Hall's goal just before half time.

Kane Swinburn and Louis Rowe had earlier gone close for the Reds with Cameron Salkeld also testing Arron Murphy for the visitors.

A superb save from Morgan Bacon kept Jeff McGowan at bay as the Reds upped their search for a second half equaliser, with Louis Wardle firing into the side netting from a tight angle.

The Reds' last chance from a corner failed to cause any pressure to the Carlisle back line as they hung on to progress at Oakwell.

The visitors were first to chance their arm with a free kick near the corner, which Joe Breen delivered and Arron Murphy punched clear.

The loose ball was launched over the top by Cameron Salkeld as the Reds survived their second minute scare.

Chris Howarth and Martin Devaney’s side hit back immediately as Louis Rowe raced onto Mo Saeed’s clever flick and slid in Kane Swinburn.

His effort at goal deflected into the path of Matty Wolfe, but the midfielder failed to direct the ball on target.

Louis Rowe was almost given a gift of a goal nine minutes in when Morgan Bacon made a hash of his clearance with the striker unable to get a block in that would have sent the ball home.

As the Blues struggled to clear, Mo Saeed’s centre was scuffed toward goal by Rowe, only for Carlisle to sort themselves out just in time.

Another chance quickly followed for the Barnsley frontman, racing onto Sham Bertie’s chipped ball but sliding the effort past Bacon’s post.

Jeff McGowan was chopped down on the edge of the area inside the opening quarter, giving Swinburn a chance to set his sights.

He bent the ball superbly around the wall, only for his effort to brush the side netting on its way out of play.

Cowburn blazed high and wide off balance soon after for the visitors before a superb challenge from Adam Lund prevented Kieron Olson from firing home.

Jeff McGowan’s excellent turn and strike just before the half hour was dealt with by Bacon and at the end of a rare foray forward, Salkeld smashed over the top of Murphy’s crossbar.

Louis Wardle was taken out by Breen at the end of an excellent break from inside his own half, giving Saeed a chance to swing the ball in, his delivery proving just off on this occasion as Wolfe challenged for the ball.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Carlisle United

The Reds began the second half on the back foot but restricted Carlisle to efforts from distance before the game sprung to life on the hour.

Cameron Simpson was introduced by Howarth and Devaney and he almost scored within seconds of coming on, poking at goal after Swinburn’s effort had been parried.

The loose ball was forced on target by McGowan only for a stunning save from Bacon to prevent him finding the net from six yards.

Jack Egan’s deflected effort drew a good save out of Murphy six minutes later with Wardle going close again from a narrow angle after being set clear by Swinburn.

An excellent jinking run from Swinburn with 15 minutes to go bamboozled Olson and sent the ball rocketing toward the near post, but Bacon was there again to save the day for Carlisle.

Simpson did have the ball in the net six minutes from time, only for the assistant referee to rule him offside earlier in the move, with Olson being cautioned for a foul on Swinburn in the build-up.

Smith did well to clear off the line from Egan six minutes from the end with the striker almost certain to score.

Despite bringing Tom Clare on in the final moments, the Reds were unable to force an equaliser as they were eliminated by the Blues.

Reds: Murphy (GK), Wardle, Smith, Lund (c), Bertie, Swinburn (Clare, 87’ ), Tingle, Wolfe, Saeed (Simpson, 59’ ), McGowan (Ocran, 63’ ), Rowe.

Subs: Greatorex (GK), Miller.

Carlisle United: Bacon (GK), Olson (Lloyd, 89’ ), Taylor (Hutchinson, 90+2’ ), Groves, Breen, Salkeld (Adewusi, 63’ ), Watson, Holt, Cowburn, Egan, Hall.

Subs: Goldthorpe (GK), Ashton.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account