Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Reds U23s 0-2 QPR U23s

12 August 2016

Reds Dominate The Match But Find Two Away Goalkeepers In Excellent Form.

Barnsley U23s vs QPR U23s

The Reds U23s had a disappointing start to the season despite dominating the match for large parts. Two early goals from the visitors in the 5th and 16th minute condemned Mark Burton's side to defeat in the opening match of the season.

The R's started on the front-foot by scoring a superb individual goal through Ryan Manning. The midfielder picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and decided to shoot, sending his effort flying into Jack Walton's top right-hand corner.

The lead was then quickly doubled through Dan Darbyshire, who also scored from outside the area. His goal however was nowhere near the level of his teammates previous attempt as he scuffed a shot, which was deflected past the helpless Walton to make it 2-0 to the away side.

After the shell-shock from the early goals, the Reds dominated until the finish. Jack Cowgill was the first Barnsley player to feel aggrieved in the match as he was dragged to the floor inside the area from a corner, from which the big central-defender was destined to tap home. Quickly after, Joe Lumley started his string of saves by denying Matty Templeton from long-range. 

Lumley was then quick off his line to deny Jarad Bird who raced in on goal, before then standing and watching as Jacob Brown fired an effort off the QPR crossbar. 

The chances were then flowing, and next to go close was Will Smith who flicked wide a header from Charlie Harris' free-kick, then shortly after James Carvell fired over from close range following an excellent pass from Brown.

The half-time whistle went with the Reds trailing by two goals, but creating a huge amount of chances and playing well.

HALF TIME: Reds U23s 0-2 QPR U23s

The second half began as the first finished. Charlie Harris saw his free-kick saved superbly by Lumley who was doing everything he could to make up for the errors of his defence in front of him and keep the R's in the lead.

Chances were constant for Mark Burton's side and Matty Templeton was next to go close as he charged into the box, avoided two challenges and smashed an effort at goal, only to be denied by the post this time.

There was then a moment in the match which may have proved pivotal, as the excellent Joe Lumley had to be replaced due to injury in the QPR goal after hurting himself, saving an effort from Kebbie. His replacement was Marcin Brzozowski, who was going to prove equality as frustrating to the Reds front-line.

The substitute 'keeper continued to take over where his predecessor left off by denying Mottley-Henry twice, Brad Ash three times and another effort from Jarad Bird.

Burton's very young side refused to give up and fought til the very end against a QPR side that had been eager to slow the game down, and continued to create further chances.

These efforts were all in vain however as the full-time whistle eventually came to the rescue of the away side, who were delighted with the performances of both their 'keepers and took all three points back to West-London.

FULL TIME: Reds U23s 0-2 QPR U23s

Advertisement block