Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Huddersfield Town vs Reds: Match Report.

20 August 2016

Club News

Huddersfield Town vs Reds: Match Report.

20 August 2016

It was late heartbreak in the first Yorkshire derby of the season for Paul Heckingbottom’s side as Jonathan Hogg scored a stoppage time winner to give Huddersfield the points.

The Terriers led at half-time following a strike from Chris Lowe on the edge of the box before Alfie Mawson equalised moments after the break following a Marc Roberts long-throw. 

As the match began, Scowen was instantly bundled over and it allowed Conor Hourihane his first chance of the match to whip in a free-kick. The home-side sat deep and cleared the free-kick well before breaking up the pitch, where Hourihane had got back in time to clear the danger himself.

The first real attempt on goal came after eight minutes, from the ever-dangerous Marley Watkins. The forward broke through midfield and tried to power a shot on goal but dragged his effort wide. Moments later Mawson came close to getting on the end of another pinpoint Hourihane cross, only to see the ball go narrowly passed his out-stretched boot.

The Reds then had their biggest chance of the first half in an opening spell they had very much been the better side in. Adam Hammill danced his way through midfield, avoiding three challenges on the way. He was eventually taken down but the ball broke free to Kent, who fired over the bar inside the box.

Following that chance there was a slight swing in the match as Huddersfield then had a spell of possession and looked dangerous. The constant threat of Van La Parra was evident and he was causing problems, winning many corners. It was during this spell of pressure from The Terriers that they took the lead. A quick break down the left, saw the ball drop to the feet of Chris Lowe on the edge of the box. He struck his effort superbly and it flew into Adam Davies’ top left-hand corner. 

That goal sparked the home side into life, and Tommy Smith was the next Town player to come close. He ran down the right, cut inside onto his left-foot and bent an effort towards the top corner, however the relief was evident as the ball flew wide.

Just before half-time, the Reds responded with a spell of pressure of their own. Danny Ward in the Huddersfield net managed to tip behind a deep cross from Hourihane, before again the Huddersfield number one claimed a Roberts throw under pressure to keep the home-side in front at the break.

Half Time: Huddersfield 1-0 Barnsley

The Reds made their first change at half-time as Tom Bradshaw was replaced by Stefan Payne.

It took just moments from the restart for the equaliser to come for Paul Heckingbottom’s side. A long throw into the box from the arms of Marc Roberts found Mawson’s head, and he powered into the back of the net to level the scores, sending 1,985 Reds fans behind the goal into raptures.

Like Huddersfield in the first half, the Reds were then buoyed by their equaliser and went in search of another. Marley Watkins was proving a real danger as it took no fewer than four attempts to finally stop him as he went into the box. From the resulting corner, Roberts came close to giving Barnsley the lead with a header but it narrowly skimmed over the bar.

Danny Ward was then called into action again as he saved superbly to deny the tricky Ryan Kent this time after he hit a powerful shot.

As the game then became end to end, the defence of White, Mawson, Roberts and Bree had some serious work to do as they looked to keep the scores level. Nahki Wells was proving to be the danger man on the right hand-side, with Van La Parra causing problems on the other. It was Wells who was the next Town player to be denied, as Davies leapt at full-stretch to stunningly tip over his close range header. Shortly after, it was the same two players involved again, with the same outcome. This time Wells tested the palms of Davies in a different fashion as he saved well to deny the striker’s shot from 12 yards. 

Straight up the other end, controversy followed as Josh Scowen was bundled to the floor inside the area after a clumsy challenge from Dean Whitehead. The Reds players and fans alike appealed for the penalty but nothing was forthcoming from referee Chris Kavanagh. Just moments after though, the Reds did have a clear-cut chance to go in front. It was Whitehead again involved for the home side as his poor back pass was latched onto by second half substitute Stefan Payne. Payne raced towards The Terriers goal, only to be denied by the post from his powerful shot.

Barnsley were then to rue that missed chance. Just as five minutes of stoppage time was announced, Huddersfield scored the winner. Jonathan Hogg seemed to find acres of space inside the Reds area at the back-post, giving him time to pick his spot and he did just that by curling into Davies’ top corner. 

The final whistle blew shortly after, giving Paul Heckingbottom’s side their second defeat of the season.

Full Time: Huddersfield 2-1 Barnsley 

Reds: Davies (GK), Bree, Roberts, Mawson, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane (c), Kent, Bradshaw, Watkins
Subs: Townsend (GK), Yiadom, MacDonald, Moncur, Lee, D'Almeida, Payne

Huddersfield: Ward (GK), Smith, Whitehead, Hudson, Scannell, Kachunga, Mooy, Löwe, Van La Parra, Wells, Schindler 
Subs: Coleman (GK), Hogg, Bunn, Cranie, Payne, Hefele, Palmer

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account