Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Oxford Utd: Full Time

3 April 2016

Club News

Reds v Oxford Utd: Full Time

3 April 2016

Reds 3 (Dunkley o.g. 54, Fletcher 68, Hammill 74)

Oxford Utd 2 (O'Dowda 29, Hylton 76)

Barnsley have won the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final after masterminding a 3-2 victory against Oxford United at Wembley.

Despite trailing 1-0 at the break, the Reds netted three goals in 22 minutes to open up a 3-1 lead.

Sam Winnall fired an early warning shot after a quick Reds break but Adam Davies was forced into the game’s first save, turning away Jordan Evans’ free kick.

Adam Hammill’s dipping effort forced Benjamin Buchel into a good save midway through the half but Oxford took the lead as Callum O’Dowda headed beyond Davies just before the half hour.

Winnall hooked inches wide 10 minutes before half time but forced Cheyenne Dunkley to put through his own net six minutes after the break.

Two goals in quick succession from Ashley Flethcher and Adam Hammill opened up a 3-1 lead with 15 minutes to play but Danny Hylton’s header seconds later put the game back in the balance.

Hammill was denied a second by a good intervention from Evans while Alfie Mawson’s free kick failed to trouble Buchel late on.

A Marc Roberts long throw sparked chaos in the Oxford penalty box inside the opening four minutes but no one was able to turn home the loose ball.

The first clear opening came after 10 minutes as a fast break saw Wales international Lloyd Isgrove feed Winnall but the striker’s outside of the foot effort drifted wide of the mark.

Oxford began to apply the pressure as Adam Davies struggled to gather a corner but Ashley Fletcher cleared the looming danger.

Davies was called into action for the first time in the contest just past the quarter-hour mark.

He brilliantly turning away Jordan Evans’ 30-yard free kick while Alfie Mawson superbly denied Johnny Mullins with a block from the resulting corner.

Another Roberts long throw caused pandemonium in the area and Hammill volleyed the loose ball at goal, forcing Benjamin Buchel into his first real save.

The U’s took the lead just before the half hour as Alex MacDonald’s cross was met by the head of Callum O’Dowda who sent the ball across Davies and into the corner of the net.

Winnall’s acrobatic effort flashed just wide of the mark 10 minutes before the break after connecting sweetly with another Marc Roberts long throw.

Kemar Roofe could not double the lead just before the interval as his overhead kick flew well wide of the post as Oxford ended the half on top.

The Reds began the second half brightly, winning a corner after smart play down the left from Adam Hammill but Roberts headed Hammill’s delivery wide.

The early pressure eventually tolled six minutes after the restart as Hammill’s dangerous cross was turned into his own net by Cheyenne Dunkley, with Winnall wheeling away in celebration.

Hammill made a mockery of Evans moments later, expertly turning him in the corner but his low centre was cleared by the U’s.

Oxford tried to get back into the game, going close when Hylton poked an effort under Davies but Josh Brownhill cleared the danger well.

Winnall landed awkwardly just past the hour and received treatment but soldiered on until the 66th minute, when he was replaced by Ivan Toney.

Toney’s impact was almost immediate, connecting with George Williams’ cross but the ball broke loose. Waiting to pounce was Manchester United loanee Ashley Fletcher, who smashed home from close range with JonJoe Kenny unable to keep the ball out.

Davies kept Barnsley in the contest in the 70th minute as Liam Sercombe wriggled free and fired at goal and a strong palm from the goalkeeper kept the Reds ahead.

And it was effectively game over just four minutes later as Adam Hammill netted his sixth goal of the season.

The winger blasted past the Oxford defenders and bent the ball deliciously around three defenders and into the bottom corner.

The U’s however instantly responded as Roofe’s ball in from the flank found Hylton and the striker steered home a header beyond the outstretched arms of Davies.

Substitute Maguire received a caution for chopping down fellow replacement Josh Scowen before Hammill’s goaleward effort was blocked well by Evans.

Mawson curled a free kick over the wall but into the arms of Buchel six minutes from time while Maguire headed straight at Davies with two minutes left.

Harry Chapman's darting run almost increased the lead in added time but Barnsley hung on to secure the trophy in front of nearly 60,000 fans.


Reds: Davies, G. Williams, Mawson, Roberts, A. White, Isgrove (Scowen, 77’ ), Brownhill, Hourihane, Hammill, Fletcher (Chapman, 90+3’ ), Winnall (Toney, 66’ ).

Subs: Townsend, Bree, Nyatanga, Watkins.

Oxford: Buchel, Kenny, Dunkley, Mullins, Evans, MacDonald (Maguire, 66’ ), Sercombe, Ruffels, O’Dowda (Waring, 85’ ), Roofe, Hylton (Bowery, 80’ ).

Subs: Slocombe, Wright, Long, Ashby.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account