Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/09/2015

19 September 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 19/09/2015

19 September 2015

Blackpool 1 (Redshaw 55)
Reds 1 (Hourihane 8)

Barnsley were left completely frustrated at the Seaside after failing to capitalise on dominating the first half at Blackpool.

Conor Hourihane's early strike set the tone for the first period but after the Reds were pegged back in the second half, they were left to rue their dominance of the ball as they left with just a point.

With one change to the side that beat Swindon 4-1, Sam Winnall came in for Ryan Williams with Michael Smith back on the bench at the expense of Conor Wilkinson.

The first sight of goal the Reds saw was on seven minutes as a Conor Hourihane free-kick dropped Josh Scowen's way 15 yards out, although the midfielder's shot was blocked before it could trouble Doyle.

Barely a minute later the Reds did find the net through Hourihane himself. Marley Watkins again proved why he will certainly prove to be one of the best pieces of business in League One this summer, as he tricked his way into the box. His delivery then dropped for Hourihane seven yards out and he swept into the far corner.

The home side did respond through Cameron at the far post but he hammered wide after McAlister had delivered a decent ball in.

As well as being a goal down, the home side were walking a tight-rope at the back as both centre-halves went into the book early on.

Potts tried his luck from 20 yards although his effort lacked any sort of power on 24 minutes with Townsend easily dealing with the strike.

Barnsley were enjoying the lion's share of possession but needed to make it tell. Sam Winnall then tried his luck on 34 minutes from 20 yards but Doyle only had to simply catch the ball.

Second half

The home side had to do something and made two changes at the break to try and claw their way back into the match. Cubero and Cameron were replaced by Thomas and Redshaw.

It was the Reds who almost added a goal however, as Harris cracked wide following a great counter-attack by Scowen and then Hourihane.

Blackpool substitute Redshaw had an impact just ten minutes into the second half when he levelled the tie. The Reds were completely split open as Redshaw latched onto a slide-rule pass before fizzing a low shot into the far corner.

John Herron absolutely lashed a 30-yarder inches wide of Townsend's right-hand post on 59 minutes as the home side found a new lease of life after having been completely dominated in the first half.

Just as the Reds seemed to building up a head of steam, Blackpool almost found a second o 71 minutes when a dangerous low cross from the right went begging.

With 72 gone Michael Smith replaced Sam Winnall up top for Barnsley's first change of the afternoon. 

After Michael Smith latched onto a Harris cross to head over, Doyle had to be at his very best to palm away a Hourihane shot that seemed destined for the far corner on 76 minutes.

As the clock ticked down, the game was stretching and looking like either side could snatch a winner. Hourihane hammered high and wide as a clear cut chance was the only thing lacking for the Reds.

On 86 minutes Redshaw saw his low drilled strike expertly saved by Townsend. It seemed destined for the bottom corner but, somehow, Townsend's strong hand turned it over the bar.


Blackpool: Doyle, Boyce, Aldred, Jones, Ferguson, Cubero (Redshaw 46), Herron (Norris 76), Potts, McAlister, Cameron (Thomas 46), Cullen.
Subs: Letheren, Robertson, Osayi-Samuel, Paterson.

Reds: Townsend, G. Smith, Wabara, Nyatanga, Mawson, Pearson (Jackson 90+1), Scowen, Watkins, Hourihane, Harris, Winnall (M. Smith 72).
Subs: Davies, Roberts, Bree, Rothwell, R.Williams.

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account