Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/09/2015

1 September 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 01/09/2015

1 September 2015

Scunthorpe 1 (Goode 90+3)
Reds 2 (Nyatanga 62, Watkins 72)

Barnsley booked their place in the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after a solid second half display at Glanford Park.

Back for their second match at the home of the Iron in the space of four weeks, the Reds enjoyed the same joy that the League Cup first round brought them as two second half goals from Nyatanga and Watkins secured a place in the hat of the next round of the JPT.

The Reds were made to sweat in the final few minutes however as Charlie Goode halved the deficit in stoppage time with a close-range finish.

Charlie Goode tried his luck from the halfway line although his effort could also have been an overplayed pass for the run of Sean McAllister on six minutes.

Scunthorpe's Adelakun forced Townsend into a smart save on nine minutes after the forward drifted in from the right onto his left foot before drilling low towards the near post.

Chances were at a premium in the opening quarter with Dan Crowley taking matter into his own hands on 23 minutes as he charged at goal. The Arsenal loanee opted for the pass just as it seemed to open up and his through-ball for Winnall had too much on it.

The 27th minute should have seen a Barnsley opener but somehow Luke Daniels kept out Marley Watkins. The forward did well to intercept McAllister's backpass but when he was set to tap in an easy finish, the Iron 'keeper recovered to deny him on the line. Seconds later Kadeem Harris had a decent attempt that was smartly held by Daniels after the winger cut in from the left and fired at goal.

Dan Crowley had the last attempt of the first half with a curling free kick from 26 yards out but he sent his effort flying a couple of yards over the bar.

Second half

Eleven minutes into the second half Barnsley made their first change as James Bree replaced Reece Wabara for a straight swap at right-back.

Moments later the home side should have carved out a proper chance as Alfie Mawson's mistake was pounced upon by Tom Hopper. The forward raced at goal from an acute angle but his cross for Adelakun, which would have seen a simple tap-in, was cleared by Nyatanga.

Two minutes past the hour finally saw the deadlock broken. A short corner was worked to Smith and the full-backs perfectly whipped delivery seemed to be flicked in by the head of Nyatanga from 10 yards - lopping the ball over the 'keeper and into the to corner.

On 65 minutes Barnsley had two chances to make it 2-0 in the space of 20 seconds. Crowley sent Watkins in down the right with the forward crossing for Winnall. The former Iron striker chested down before swinging his leg at the ball but the home side cleared. Then Harris sent in a great cross for Winnall as the striker did manage to connect this time, but he headed just wide with a looping attempt.

The home side made two changes in an attempt to get a grip of the tie of which the Reds had taken control of.

Scunthorpe's Luke Daniels made a spectacular save to keep his side in the game on 72 minutes as he denied former United man Winnall. The striker placed a shot towards the far corner but Daniels tipped away with an excellent save.

Barnsley had the wind in their sails and moments after the restart, Kadeem Harris powered forward just left of centre before thumping at goal only to see his strike blocked for a corner.

With nine minutes left, Paul Digby came on for Joe Rothwell for Lee Johnson's second substitution. The final Reds change came on 87 minutes as Dan Crowley was replaced by Conor Wilkinson.

The final few minutes were made interesting though as Charlie Goode finished from close range after a deep corner evaded the fist of Townsend - allowing the defender a simple tap-in.


Scunthorpe: Daniels, Goode, King (McSheffrey 66), Wallace, Wiseman, Laird, McAllister, Bishop, Adelakun, Hopper (Madden 68), Wootton (van Veen 72).
Subs: Anyon, Syers.

Reds: Townsend, Wabara (Bree 56), Mawson, Nyatanga, Smith, Rothwell (Digby 81), Scowen, Crowley (Wilkinson 87), Harris, Winnall, Watkins.
Subs: Hourihane, Roberts.

Attendance: 1,796 (398 Reds)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account