Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 31/10/2015

31 October 2015

Scunthorpe Utd 2 (Hopper 6, McSheffrey 41)
Reds 0 (Winnall m/p 45)

Barnsley once again came close in front of goal but weren't rewarded for their efforts on their third trip to Glanford Park.

The first five minutes indicated a positive performance was to come from Barnsley at Scunthorpe, but a mix-up in defence allowed a dreadful goal from the Reds' point of view which dented the team's already fragile confidence. Then having gone 2-0 down, Barnsley's recent luck was summed up by a penalty miss from Sam Winnall before the break.

Barnsley showed their intent from the off as Ben Pearson burst forward from the kick-off. Smith's delivery was half-cleared to Scowen who saw a fierce effort deflect over the bar for a corner.

Again the Reds came forward with Michael Smith waiting patiently before firing across goal, forcing Daniels into a smart save to tip wide. From the resulting clearance, Winnall was thwarted by Mirfin at the near post as he met George Smith's delivery at the near post.

But, for Barnsley's bright start, it was the hosts that took the lead. Roberts tried hacking a clearance away but missed the ball, then Townsend dropped in front of Hopper who had the simplest finish of his career.

On 12 minutes, Michael Smith almost connected with a very clever ball by Pearson into the six-yard box as the Reds still looked confident going forward despite conceding early on.

George Smith's delivery on 22 minutes just evaded the studs of both Winnall and Michael Smith as the strike-pair came agonisingly close to turning home a deserved equaliser.

Barnsley's best chance came on 32 minutes as Smith's corner was met by the perfectly-timed run of Nyatanga and, with Daniels completely rooted to the spot, his header went just wide of the post.

Nick Townsend made an expert reaction save to deny Gary McSheffrey's deflected drive on 35 minutes, with the goalkeeper tipping away from the top corner.

At the other end, Reece Wabara looked to add to his solitary yet spectacular strike earlier in the season with a piledriver on the left boot with 38 gone. After latching onto Winnall's ball into the area, his effort sailed just over the bar.

Four minutes before the break, the home side made it 2-0. Wiseman burst down the right beyond Smith and although Barnsley's youngster got a foot on the cross, it deflected into the path of McSheffrey who tucked in from 12 yards.

On 44 minutes Barnsley were handed a lifeline after Sam Winnall was bundled over in the box by Wallace. Winnall took the ball and placed it on the spot but he saw his penalty well saved by Daniels. After stuttering his run-up, Daniels got across to his right and tipped away.

Second half

Townsend made a great save in the opening five minutes of the second half. McSheffrey swung in a great corner that Madden headed towards the top corner but Townsend tipped away from the top corner.

After dominating in terms of chances in the first period, action in front of goal had dried up from the Reds' perspective. At the Barnsley end, McSheffrey went close with a header from a deep Wiseman delivery on 67 minutes.

Barnsley's first shot of the second half saw Daniels make a fantastic save to deny the Reds a way back into the match. Sam Winnall curled towards the far corner after Scowen zipped the ball forward but it was a good save at full stretch.

There was a break in play after Scowen and Rowe exchanged their views on the edge of Barnsley's penalty area with both of them being dragged apart. Both players were booked after the referee calmed the situation down.

Townsend pounced on Mirfin's scuffed attempt after a corner dropped his way on 83, whilst Scowen made Daniels tip wide with a great low strike from 22 yards.

Wabara and Pearson combined well down the right before Maris fired at goal only to be blocked by Mirfin, but the game fizzled away from Barnsley's grasp.


Scunthorpe: Daniels, Wiseman, Mirfin, Wallace, Laird, Bishop, King, Rowe, McSheffrey (Williams 81), Madden, Hopper (Henderson 59).
Subs: Anyon, Clarke, McAllister, Lolley, Williams, van Veen.

Reds: Townsend, Wabara, G. Smith (Templeton 89), Mawson, Pearson, Isgrove (Maris 85), Nyatanga, Scowen, M. Smith (Wilkinson 74), Roberts, Winnall.
Subs: Davies, Bree, Jackson, Abbott.

Referee: Stuart Attwell.

Attendance: 4,147 (690 Reds)

Advertisement block