Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/10/2015

3 October 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 03/10/2015

3 October 2015

Doncaster Rovers 2 (Anderson 35, Chaplow 90+1)

Reds 1 (Winnall 60)

The Reds were left disappointed yet again having conceded a stoppage time goal in the 90th minute for a second consecutive visit to Doncaster, leaving them empty-handed.

Lee Johnson's side would have settled for just a point despite controlling large parts of the game but, somehow, left with nothing to show for their efforts.

It was the Reds who registered the first shot of the match after Josh Scowen fed Marley Watkins down the right but the forward lashed a couple of yards over the bar from 25 yards with six minutes played.

Both bosses joined in a minute's applause on eight minutes along with the entire ground as the fans paid tribute to Rovers defender Andy Butler whose friend passed away recently.

The home side lined up a free-kick on 10 minutes after Ben Pearson was penalised for a could 25 yards from his own goal. Full-back Evina could only curl harmlessly over the crossbar with a left-footed strike.

Marley Watkins again had a sniff at goal with quarter-of-an-hour gone after great work by Kadeem Harris down the left flank. His cross just evaded the head of Watkins who was waiting at the far stick to nod into an empty net.

On 25 minutes came the best chance of the match so far. George Smith split the Donny defence open with an inch-perfect pass for Harris who cut inside in the box, his shot zipped just over the bar as the whole ground was waiting for the net to bulge.

A patient piece of play from the Reds saw an eventual switch from left to right on the half-hour mark, with Winnall seeing an effort curl over after a deflection.

On 35 minutes the opening goal arrived but it was for the home side - and a soft one at that. Keshi Anderson flicked Chaplow's delivery into the far corner after an original corner had been cleared.

Nick Townsend was bright enough to clear any danger just when Andy Williams was about to race clear onto Alfie Mawson's poor backpass on 43 minutes - preventing the forward a clear one-on-one situation.

Second half

Three minutes after the break the Reds put on a textbook counter attack but couldn't finish with Winnall heading wide. Scowen picked out Wabara's marauding run down the right and his cross was just an inch too high for Winnall who couldn't direct his header on target.

A few minutes later Hourihane tried a clever shot with the outside of his left boot but struck wide after Nyatanga's nod-down was laid into his path by Watkins. Again the Reds came at Rovers with Harris tearing into Horsfield before crossing dangerously but not Reds player was on hand to tap home.

On the hour Sam Winnall stepped up to the plate to deliver Barnsley an equaliser. Conor Houirhane whipped in a typically dangerous corner that Winnall met - looping his header over Stuckmann right in front of the travelling Tykes, duly sending them wild.

It was just the boost of wind Barnsley needed in their sails as they regained control of the match. Reece Wabara tested Stuckmann at his near post with a fizzing low drive on 69 minutes that forced the 'keeper into a smart stop.

Kadeem Harris thought he had found Barnsley's second after he latched onto Sam Winnall's flick before thumping at goal, but Stuckmann saved well with his legs on 72 minutes.

With little over 10 minutes left, the game had developed into the typically frantic exchange it was expected to be from the off.

On 80 minutes the Reds made a triple sub with Smith being replaced by his namesake, along with Crowley and Roberts replacing Scowen and Wabara respectively.

Again Harris took matters into his own hands with a cracking drive from 22 yards that stun Stuckmann's palms with seven left. From the resulting corner Michael Smith headed straight at the goalie from 10yards.

At the other end seconds later, Harry Middleton saw a great chance blocked by Roberts before an offside flag denied Rovers an attempt on the rebound.

Just as the fourth official indicated four minutes of stoppage time, Richard Chaplow broke from nowhere to smash into the near post and win it for the home side.


Doncaster Rovers: Stuckmann, McCullough, Butler, Evina, Horsfield (Taylor-Sinclair 74), Wellens, Chaplow, Coppinger (c) (Middleton 57), N'Guessan (Mandeville 81), Anderson, Williams

Subs: Marosi, Forrester, Keegan, Stewart.

Reds: Townsend, Wabara (Roberts 80), Mawson, Nyatanga, G.Smith (M. Smith 81), Watkins, Scowen (Crowley 80), Hourihane, Pearson, Harris, Winnall.

Subs: Davies, Jackson, Bree, Rothwell.

Referee: Darren Handley

Attendance: 9,033 (2906 Reds)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account