Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bradford City 1 Reds 2: Full Time

13 October 2015

Club News

Bradford City 1 Reds 2: Full Time

13 October 2015

Bradford City 1 (Knott 22)
Reds 2 (Watkins 45, Mawson 70)

Barnsley came from a goal down to progress into the Johnstone’s Paint area quarter final with a 2-1 victory over Bradford City at the Coral Windows Stadium. 

Billy Knott broke the deadlock midway through the first half but Marley Watkins glanced the Reds level on the stroke of half time. 

Alfie Mawson put the Reds ahead for the first time in the tie with a powerful header 20 minutes from time which proved enough to secure progression for the Tykes. 

George Smith fashioned the Reds' first chance inside four minutes, breaking into the box but he was unable to fashion a chance and was quickly crowded out. 

Bradford took until the 18th minute to get a foothold and Greg Leigh almost caught Davies off-guard with a teasing cross that drifted just past the post. 

Three minutes later, Kadeem Harris surged forward into the Bradford box only to see Ben Williams gather his left-footed effort. 

On 22 minutes, the Bantams took the lead following a quick counter attack. Barnsley cleared the initial danger but the ball fell to Billy Knott and he slotted the hosts ahead. 

Bradford nearly doubled their lead after 25 minutes, Mark Marshall striding forward but firing straight at Davies. 

Possession exchanged feet for the remainder of the half but the Reds drew level just in the final minute of the half. 

Conor Hourihane swung in a free kick and Marley Watkins flicked the ball beyond Williams and into the corner, sending the Reds in deservedly level. 

Hourihane came close to putting the visitors 2-1 up at the break ahead after unleashing a rasping 25-yard drive in the second minute of stoppage time, but Williams repelled his attempt. 

The hosts increased their intensity after the restart but failed to level as James Hanson headed tamely into the gloves of Davies on 48 minutes. 

Barnsley forced a corner after 54 minutes and from Hourihane’s delivery, Marc Roberts stabbed the ball at goal. The ball appeared to cross the line but unfortunately for the Reds play continued. 

James Bree came on to replace Reece Wabara just before the hour but Bradford’s impetus increased with Luke James forcing Davies into a smart save with his feet. 

In a double Bradford substitution, Steven Davies replaced James Hanson and former Reds loanee Devante Cole came on to replace Luke James. 

Harris’ afternoon came to an end shortly afterwards through injury as Lee Johnson introduced Harry White for his professional debut, following his move from Gloucester City. 

Marley Watkins won a free kick in a wide area 70 minutes in. Hourihane delivered a perfect ball for Alfie Mawson and the Reds captain rose highest to head home, beyond outstretched arms of Williams. 

Sam Winnall could have made it 3-1 on 73 minutes, latching onto a loose ball but smashed his effort wide of the target. 

Marshall jinked his way inside before testing Davies with a dipping effort from the corner of the box but the Reds custodian proved more than a match for the effort. 

Hourihane’s first half injury caught up with him 11 minutes from the end as he was replaced by Paul Digby. 

Five minutes from time, a fracas involving Barnsley’s Marley Watkins and Ben Pearson and Bradford’s Greg Leigh and Lee Evans broke out close to the touchline but ended with yellow cards all round. 

White drew a foul out of Nathan Clarke two minutes time as the game descended into five minutes of stoppage time.  

Bradford almost grabbed an equaliser in the third minute of added time but Roberts blocked Cole’s towering header to send the Reds through to the third round. 

Of the 4,127 fans, a travelling contingent of 551 saw the triumph, which means Barnsley host York City in the area quarter finals. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account