Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 10/11/2015

10 November 2015

Reds 2 (Pearson 67, Hammill 83)
York City 1 (Coulson 43)

Barnsley produced a stunning second half turnaround to overcome a stubborn York City side 2-1 at Oakwell in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy area quarter final.

Ben Pearson headed home the equaliser for Barnsley midway through the second half before the Adam Hammill, making his first start since returning to the club, struck the winner seven minutes from time.

The Reds dominated possession and have had the better of the chances in an action packed first half but fell behind to Michael Coulson’s 30-yard free kick five minutes before half time.

The result puts the Reds in the hat for Saturday’s area semi-final draw.


Adam Hammill, returning to Oakwell after a four year absence, started well, tricking his way inside York’s Marvin McCoy but his delivery was not good enough.

The winger came close to opening the scoring on seven minutes after looping an effort onto the roof of the York net via the glove of Scott Flinders.

Nine minutes in and Newcastle United loanee tested Flinders with a drilled effort from the edge of the area before Hammill was caught late by Marvin McCoy for the first booking of the game.

Just past the quarter hour mark, Lloyd Isgrove went close with a drilled effort from the edge of the area that Flinders gathered well before the Southampton loanee struck the crossbar with a delicate chip.

York produced their first effort on goal 24 minutes in as Ben Godfrey tested Adam Davies from the edge of the area before being cautioned two minutes later for a late challenge on Isgrove.

Former Red Michael Coulson came close to breaking the deadlock for the Minstermen on 27 minutes with a ferocious drive from the edge of the area but Davies did just enough to turn it behind.

The visitors made the breakthrough five minutes before half time through Coulson. Reece Wabara tripped Emile Sinclair 30-yards from goal and the midfielder sent the ball beyond Davies and into the top corner.

Hammill and Toney both had chances to level in first half stoppage time but again found Flinders in inspired form as the hosts ended the half behind.


Second Half


The Reds began the second half well and could have been level as Alfie Mawson tested Flinders with a header from close range while David Tutonda replaced the injured Godfrey.

Emile Sinclair was also withdrawn for the Minstermen with Anthony Straker joining the action but the Reds struck the equaliser after 67 minutes.

York failed to clear their lines from a corner and Hammill delivered for Ben Pearson to nod home at the back post to level the tie.

The Minstermen almost hit straight back as Coulson sent another free kick whistling over the top on 69 minutes and Vadaine Oliver forced Davies into a fantastic reaction save four minutes later.

The Reds stepped up their efforts for a winner with Isgrove flashing an effort just wide 15 minutes from time before Hammill took centre stage.

The winger drifted inside from the left and bent a sumptuous effort into the top corner of Flinders’ goal, sending Oakwell into dreamland.

It could have been 3-1 just seconds later as Isgrove danced through the challenges only to see his effort trickle just wide of the post.

Late cautions for Wabara and Hammill did not take the shine off the evening for the Reds, who progressed into the area semi-finals, in front of 3,360 fans with 509 making the trip from York.

Advertisement block