Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds V Rochdale: Full Time

3 May 2015

Club News

Reds V Rochdale: Full Time

3 May 2015

Reds 5 (Scowen, 68, 7, Holgate 84, Hourihane 90, Winnall 90)
Rochdale 0

After a goalless first half the Reds came to life after the break partly thanks to a one man advantage and scored five goals in just over twenty minutes to end the season on a high note, thrashing Rochdale.

The day will also be remembered as a proud one for the academy as today's squad was largely made of graduates, both in the starting eleven and the bench.

For their final game of the season the Reds came out against Rochdale in high spirits and it was not long before the game was fully in their control.

Creating their first chance after 4 minutes, Luke Berry's curled delivery from a free kick had too much bend on it to cause any problems in the Dale box.

The Reds continued to pressure the visitors and it was George Maris combining with Winnall and Pearson in attack that created the next real opportunity.

Some good passing from the three led to Pearson having a chance to volley towards goal from inside the area but his effort was just off target.

In determined form, George Smith looks to have developed into one of Barnsley's most effective attacking options down the left and his direct runs looked to be causing Rochdale problems.

Pearson and Winnall continued to communicate on the same wave length and the midfielder's passing led to some good chances for Winnall in the opening fifteen minutes.

Rochdale did have a chance of their own on exactly fifteen minutes after the referee awarded them a free-kick on the edge of the box.

From the set-piece, former Barnsley man Reuben Noble-Lazarus saw his driven effort deflect off Lewin Nyatanga for corner.

The quality of the passing from Lee Johnson's side was of a standard that the fans have only been treated to a hand full of times here at Oakwell this season and it looked to be taking Rochdale apart.

With a third of the half remaining, the Reds were in complete control but the all important goal was still proving illusive.

It was Luke Berry who had the Reds' final chance of the half, the midfielder unsuccessfully heading James Bree's cross towards goal.

Second Half-

Only three minutes into the second period the Reds were handed a big advantage when Rochdale were reduced to 10 by referee David Webb.

Dale's Joe Rafferty earning an early bath for a challenge on Ben Pearson in the middle of the park.

Using their latest advantage to play some positive football, the Reds again became the aggressors in the half.

Luke Berry was in the action again after the break and he would have struck a good shot towards goal were it not for Ashley Eastham's block.

Scowen did get a shot from distance on target just before the hour mark but the well hit effort was straight at the goalkeeper and he did not need to move to ensure it stayed out.

It was Rochdale who should have taken the lead only seconds later when a goal mouth scramble saw the ball cannon back off a Barnsley defender from about six yards.

Not long after introducing Rhys Oates the Reds took the lead when Josh Sowen headed in Conor Hourihane's corner.

Despite being one of the smallest players on the pitch, the attacking midfielder was able to make enough room to head freely at goal and put Barnsley in front.

Scowen continued to be the man making a difference in midfield and on 73 minutes he had a chance for a second goal but blasted over the bar.

On 76 minutes Scowen did get his second as he scored again, recreating his first goal perfectly and heading in from a corner delivered from the opposite wing this time.

One minute later the Reds thought they had a third goal when Winnall headed in Hourihane's free kick but the linesman ruled out the goal as offside.

A corner with ten minutes left had the fans wanting a third but as Scowen found himself crowded out in the box, the score line stayed 2-0.

Refusing to settle on their two goal lead the Reds went forward desperately hunting for another goal.

That goal came on 84 minutes when Mason Holgate tapped in Hourihane's corner at the far post as the Reds took full advantage of the extra man.

Rochdale didn't completely die off and with three minutes left to play it looked like they had clawed one back through Peter Vincenti but his thunderous effort was chalked off for offside.

Killing the game off in the final minute, Conor Hourihane got his goal to make it four after Sam Winnall beat the offside trap set up his team mate.

Just when it looked like it couldn't get any worse for Rochdale, Sam Winnall headed in to make it five from a good cross from the left hand side.


Reds: Davies, Bree (69), Holgate, Nyatanga (C), Smith, Pearson, Hourihane, Berry (77), Scowen, Winnall, Maris (66).

Subs: Dibble, Lalkovic, Cranie, Williams (69), Abbott, Digby (77), Oates (66).

Rochdale: Lillis, Rafferty, Eastham, Lancashire, Vincenti, Noble-Lazarus (69), Tanser, Logan (50), Cannon (45), Kennedy, Henderson.

Subs: Diba, Bennett (45), Andrew, Allen (50), Rose, Camps (69), Bunney.

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 9993

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account