Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Walsall: Full Time Report

7 March 2015

Club News

Reds v Walsall: Full Time Report

7 March 2015

Reds 3 (Waring 16, 71, Winnall 89)
Walsall 0

Two fantastic goals from George Waring and one from Sam Winnall were the difference this afternoon as the Reds recorded a second home in a week and stretched their winning run to five games.

The Reds started the afternoon extremely brightly and held the ball well for the opening minutes of the game. 

After a mistake from Lewin Nyatanga however, the Saddlers did have the first chance of the match from a corner but following a good delivery, nobody could find the target.

Quickly trying to get themselves back on top in the fixture, the Reds recorded their first shot on goal after nine minutes.

It was a good ball from Milan Lalkovic over the top that made space for Conor Hourihane but the midfielder's shot lost some of its sting after taking a deflection en route to goal.

Winning a corner on fifteen minutes, the Reds took the lead after some good tactical play gave George Waring room in the area to meet the cross and head past O'Donnell in the Walsall goal.

Again causing mayhem from a corner only moments later, the Reds looked to have settled on their lead after 20 minutes.

The Saddlers did cause some problems for the Reds in the latter stages of the half but the back line dealt with them well as the defence stood strong. 

Second Half-

Both sides looked fired up for the second half and following two half time substitutions from Walsall, their presence in the game started to change.

Despite this, it was the Reds who looked to remain in control and after nine minutes of the second period Milan Lalkovic went close, firing a powerful cross come shot across goal.

Just before the hour mark, George Waring again was causing problems for the visitors. In a similar way to Tuesday night, the tall striker was only inches from connecting with a Hourihane delivery.

Given some support soon after, Sam Winnall entered the action as his return from injury looks just about complete.

The Reds had George Waring to thank when he doubled the lead with just under 20 minutes left to play. This time more of a solo effort, the on-loan attacker dazzled the Walsall defenders with skill before calmly finishing into the bottom corner.

Sensing their opponents were on the ropes, the Reds continued to throw everything forward and John O'Sullivan was next to try his luck but his effort went just over the bar.

Not sitting back on their lead, the Reds kept attacking Walsall as the atmosphere inside Oakwell continued to improve.

Were it not for Richard O'Donnell in the Walsall goal, Lee Johnson's men would have been further in front before the end as he looked to be on a personal mission not to let John O'Sullivan get his name on the scoresheet.

Further proof that Sam Winnall is back to full fitness came with just a minute left to play. John O'Sullivan provided the ball for Winnall and the striker produced a wonderful finish to beat the keeper and get Barnsley's third.

Barnsley: Davies, Holgate, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Smith, O'Sullivan, Pearson (56), Scowen, Hourihane, Lalkovic (62), Waring (79).

Subs: Dibble, Ibehre (79), Berry, M'Voto, Winnall (62), Jennings, Bailey (56).

Walsall: O'Donnell, Purkiss (45), Taylor, Downing, Chambers, Bradshaw, Sawyers, Baxendale (45), Chambers, Flanagan (69), Hiwula-Mayifuila.

Subs: MacGillivray, O'Connor (45), Mantom, Cain (69) , Preston, Bakayoko, Grimes (45).

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Attendance: 9275 (338 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account