Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Coventry City: Full Time Report

3 March 2015

Club News

Reds v Coventry City: Full Time Report

3 March 2015

Reds 1 (Waring 57)
Coventry 0

Marking Lee Johnson's first game at Oakwell with a 1-0 win thanks to George Waring, the Reds continue their fine home run and the target of reaching the play-offs still looks like a real possibility.

It was the visitors who almost took the lead after four minutes when Adam Davies took too long on a back pass and Coventry's Dominic Samuel almost scored when he blocked the keeper's clearance.

In rather determined fashion, the Reds immediately pressed back and from a corner only minutes later they were just inches from taking the lead when Martin Cranie headed just wide.

Winning another corner after a mistake from the Coventry keeper on 14 minutes, Conor Hourihane delivered the ball into the area again looking for Cranie.

Successfully meeting the ball, the Reds' captain then saw his latest headed effort comfortably saved by Burge.

In what was becoming an increasingly open game, Coventry's Marcus Tudgay then hit the post for the visitors as both sides continued to go close.

The Reds would have had Adam Davies to thank on the half hour mark were it not for the linesman's flag already coming to the rescue.

After Coventry had opened up the Barnsley defence, the young keeper was forced to tip the ball over his bar and was met with a thankful applause from the Oakwell faithful.

With five minutes to go until the break the Reds had a chance to take the lead from a corner but this time the cross did not find anyone and Burge happily collected.

Second Half-

Coming out for the second period looking determined, the Reds looked to have their opponents rattled when a defensive mishap led to the first corner of the second half.

With the crowd behind them, Conor Hourihane put a fine delivery into the box but nobody was able to guide the ball towards the goal.

Continuing to barrage the Coventry goal, Ben Pearson fired a shot at Burge on 50 minutes but the keeper just about dealt with the effort.

Rewarded for their hard work, the Reds then took the lead just before the hour mark when Conor Hourihane successfully picked out George Waring from a free kick.

The on loan attacker made a superb run through the Coventry box before stooping down and heading past Burge to break the deadlock.

Not satisfied with their advantage, Barnsley went out in search of a second goal as Coventry started to fade away in the second half despite making some attacking substitutes.

When the Sky Blues did attack they showed some threat but inevitably they were missing the much needed end product.

Former Reds loanee Frank Nouble gave us an example of this with 12 minutes left to play. After he had worked hard down the wing to put in a cross, nobody had kept up with him and the chance went begging.

A pleasing site for Reds fans came with just a few minutes left on the clock as Sam Winnall made his return to action after a lengthy spell out through injury.

The attacker's presence helped the Reds settle on their lead as they ended what will be a pleasing evening for Lee Johnson.

Teams: Reds: Davies, Holgate, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Smith, O'Sullivan (82), Pearson, Scowen, Hourihane, Lalkovic (82), Waring (89). 

Subs: Dibble, Berry (82), M'Voto, Winnall (89), Jennings, Bailey (82), Oates.

Coventry: Burge, Fleck, O'Brien, Samuel, Barton (76), Odelusi (63), Phillips, Tudgay (60), Martin, Pennington, Stokes.

Subs: Charles-Cook, Webster, Proschwitz (60), Nouble (63), Turgott (76), Finch, Thomas.

Referee: Tony Harrington

Attendance: 9567 (349 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account