Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/03/2015

28 March 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 28/03/2015

28 March 2015

Bristol City 2 (Pack pen 13, Bryan 84)
Reds 2 (Ibehre 44, Scowen 53)

To be left disappointed with just a point at league-leaders Bristol City shows just how far the Reds have come, as they were denied the maximum return with six to play at Ashton Gate.

A monumental effort, led by the ubiquitous Jabo Ibehre, kept the unbeaten run going for Lee Johnson's rejuvenated Reds.

It was a very steady start from both sides but the hosts registered the first shot of the clash on six minutes through Luke Freeman. Former Reds loanee Korey Smith showed great feet down the right before squaring infield for Freeman who took aim from 25 yards, only to curl over Wildsmith's bar.

On 12 minutes, however, the home side were presented a penalty after Jean-Yves M'voto clattered Kieran Agard in the box leaving referee Mark Brown no choice but to point to the spot. Marlon Pack despatched the spot-kick low to Wildsmith's right for 1-0.

Winnall's run was expertly picked out by Hourihane on 24 minutes but the striker's pull-back for Scowen was quickly intercepted and cleared just as the midfielder was set to pull the trigger.

Wilbraham took advantage of a spill on the edge of the Barnsley box with 26 played but his low drive zipped wide of Wildsmith's left-hand post.

As the click ticked towards the midway point of the match, the Reds had struggled to create a clear-cut chance but were by no means out of the tie as, at times, they looked neat and tidy in their approach. Ibehre did come fairly close to a leveller but his flicked header on 46 minutes sailed over the bar as he met Scowen's whipped delivery from the right.

Barnsley's most dangerous player so far, Jabo Ibehre, hauled the Reds level on 44 minutes with a well-taken effort. Martin Cranie picked up a short free-kick from Conor Hourihane and his launched delivery was taken on the chest by Ibehre before he hit a vicious effort on the turn from 10 yards that found the bottom corner.

Second half

The Reds enjoyed a decent spell of pressure in the hosts' half in the first couple of minutes after the restart but failed to capitalise from four corners taken in quick succession.

With 53 played the Reds took the lead with a superbly worked goal finished by Josh Scowen. Jabo Ibehre was all over the City defence and after he squirmed free with the ball on the left, he threaded a pass into the path of Scowen who rounded Fielding before rifling into the roof of the net.

On 70 minutes the Reds enjoyed a fantastic passage of play that was started by Jabo Ibehre on the left-hand side as he showed some silky skills. The play was spread to Cranie whose cross was turned into the path of Scowen to slice over the bar.

The home supporters weren't liking the fact they were a goal behind, and vented their frustration at the referee as Barnsley continued to attack. Stewart this time on 74 minutes dragged an effort wide from outside the box after another solid Barnsley counter.

Joe Wildsmith was called into action for his first save of the match on 82 minutes to deny Bryan but two minutes later the 'keeper was cruelly beaten by the defender. The 'keeper saw Bryan's effort late and it squirmed beyond his grasp.

The home side were finally going for the jugular and Wildsmith made two excellent saves to keep the Robins out.

Four minutes of stoppage time made it a nervy ending with the Robins looking to pump the ball into the box. George Waring replaced Sam Winnall as the clock ticked down.


Bristol City: Fielding; Little (Emmanuel-Thomas 58), Ayling, Flint, Williams, Bryan, K.Smith, Pack, Freeman, Agard (Elliott 77), Wilbraham.
Subs: Richards, Cunningham, Tavernier, Saville, Wagstaff.

Reds: Wildsmith, Cranie, M’voto, Nyatanga, Smith, Pearson, Hourihane, Scowen, Stewart (Bailey 89), Ibehre, Winnall (Waring 90).
Subs: Walton, Bailey, Berry, Hemmings, Williams, Jennings.

Referee: Mark Brown.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account