Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Frickley Athletic v Reds XI: Full Time

28 July 2015

Frickley Athletic 1 (Thomas 16)
Reds 0

A young Reds XI slipped to defeat by the solitary goal at Frickley Athletic and had 17-year-old Jack Walton to thank for a string of top-drawer saves.

Although Walton was the busier of the two 'keepers, Barnsley had their chances but squandered several good opportunities in front of goal.

A number of trialists featured for Paul Heckingbottom's side with George Williams the player considered the most senior amongst the Reds.

With four minutes played Reece Thompson showed his blistering pace to race in behind the Barnsley back line and his cross almost ricocheted into the Barnsley net but, thankfully, it dropped the wrong side of the post.

Brad Dockerty then tested goalkeeper Jack Walton after dancing into the area on six minutes - the young Barnsley 'keeper holding the ball well.

The young goalie had to make an even smarter save on 12 minutes as Luke Hinsley thundered a long-range effort at goal - Walton plucking the ball from the sky.

The home side were awarded a penalty on 15 minutes after Hinsley's run into the box was illegally halted by Scott. The winger stepped up to take the spot-kick himself only to be denied by Walton. The rebound was saved again by Walton only for Thomas to nod home at the hosts' third time of asking.

Jameel Ible's acrobatic attempt at the far stick was denied by Walton once more as the big centre-half volleyed a deep cross at goal on 18 minutes.

It should have been 2-0 on 24 minutes but Luke Hornsey blasted wide after cutting inside onto his right-boot in the box. The midfielder hammered well wide when one-on-one with Walton eight yards out.

If Walton wasn't busy enough, he then made three saves in the space of five seconds on 29 minutes. Twice the 'keeper kept out the busy Thompson's vicious efforts before Thomas saw another rebound turned over.

The Reds worked a decent corner routine into the area on 34 minutes although Storey's ultimate effort lacked conviction and was easily held by Leigh.

Kneeshaw raced onto a ball into the right-hand channel before going for the chip on 36 minutes but Leigh did well to turn the ball out for a corner. From the resulting delivery Chippendale connected well with a sweet volley from the penalty spot but his strike went inches past the post.

Second half

At the break Jack Cowgill was replaced by trialist Jason Otande, meaning Templeton filled in at right-back and Williams went into the centre of the defence.

Beckles should have hauled the Reds level on 49 minutes when he had just the 'keeper to beat from seven yards but he blazed high over the bar.

Four minutes before the hour saw the Frickley 'keeper Leigh make his best save of the night as he tipped Otande's powerful 22-yard drive away from the top corner.

Chances dried up in the second half although Kneeshaw made Leigh get down well to his left and sent the striker's low, drilled effort on 70 minutes.

Matty Templeton cut inside onto his right foot after a smart run into the box but was denied a clean shot at goal by a last-ditch block.

As the clock ticked down, Walton was called into action to make yet another decent save as he turned Penty's drilled effort wide on 83 minutes.

At the other end, Drennan curled wide after being teed up by Otande but it looked like the young Reds would draw another blank in front of goal.


Frickley Athletic: Leigh, Parkinson, Stratford, Hornsey, Jeffs, Ible, Dockerty, Lenighan, Thompson, Thomas, Hinsley.
Subs: Wood, Riley, Gay, Penty, Smith, Williams, Griffin, Hines.

Reds XI: Walton, Williams, Templeton, Scott, Cowgill (Otande 46), Storey, Kneeshaw, Drennan, Beckles (Jeffs 79), Chippendale, Nditi.
Subs: Murphy, Hanna.

Referee: Luke Watson
Assistant Referees: Jack Hall & Ash Royston

Advertisement block