Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Yeovil Town: Half Time

10 January 2015

Club News

Reds v Yeovil Town: Half Time

10 January 2015

Reds 0-0 Yeovil

Half time at Oakwell comes with the game still goalless despite both sides having good chances to get themselves in front. The Reds' best chance to go in front came from Paul Digby just before the break after the two sides had resettled following the sending off of Yeovil's Ben Nugent mid-way through the half.

The Reds started brightly as the new-look side got off to a quick start against the Glovers. Following the opening of the transfer window, today's team contains three debutants in the starting eleven and two more would be debutants on the bench.

In the opening minutes the Reds pressured their opponents and were rewarded with the game's first corner within the opening five minutes. Despite not making anything of the chance, the intentions of the side were clear from the off.

In the ninth minute Yeovil did have a chance to test Ross Turnbull from a free-kick but the effort from the edge of the box was blocked at its source.

Winning their second corner on twelve minutes, Conor Hourihane whipped in the delivery for the Reds but again nothing came from the chance as the ball made its way all the way through the Yeovil box.

One minute later Hourihane took it upon himself to shoot from a free-kick from around 35 yards but his effort looked more in frustration than anything else as it sailed over the bar.

It was a bit of defensive miscommunication that led to Yeovil's next chance after George Smith needlessly cleared the ball for a corner. 

From the resulting delivery there was a bit of pinball action in the Barnsley box before the ball eventually settled and the danger went away with the score still level.

The Reds almost snuck in front on 20 minutes when Leroy Lita headed at goal from a Conor Hourihane delivery but the effort was not powerful enough to trouble Jed Steer in the Yeovil goal.

It was Yeovil however who had the best chance to take the lead when M'Voto missed his clearance and the ball fell to AJ Leitch-Smith in the 22nd minute but the frontman was unable to find the net.

Barnsley were then handed a big advantage when Yeovil were reduced to 10 men with around 20 minutes left to play in the first period after Ben Nugent was dismissed by the referee for an apparent elbow.

Looking to take advantage of their extra man, the Reds spent the next five minutes attacking the Glovers' goal as debutants Pearson and Kiwomya pestered the visitors' defence.

Kiwomya continued to look dangerous and his shot on 38 minutes looked destined for goal but it was deflected out for a corner off a Yeovil body.

George Waring another Reds debutant also looked threatening and his large frame gave Barnsley some presence up front that had been missing earlier in the season. 

Waring's partnership with Lita looked dangerous and the striker nearly got his debut goal when he headed towards the target just before half time.

The Reds' presence in the box looked to be one of their biggest strengths in the half and on 44 minutes Paul Digby had Barnsley's best chance from header but despite having the keeper beaten, he was unable to find the target.

Reds: Turnbull, Hourihane (C), Digby, M'Voto, Ramage (27), Smith, Holgate, Lita, Pearson, Kiwomya, Waring.
Subs: Davies, Brown, Berry, Jennings, Williams (27), Phenix, Lalkovic. 

Yeovil:Steer, Smith, Edwards (C), Berrett, Leitch-Smith (27), Foley, Moore, Twumasi, Ralph, Nugent, Arthurworrey.
Subs: Krysiak, Hayter, Hoskins, Smith (27), Brooks.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account