Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 24/02/2015

24 February 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 24/02/2015

24 February 2015

Scunthorpe United 0
Barnsley 1 (Scowen 51) (M'voto s/o 54)

Barnsley tasted victory on the road in the league for the first time since 1st November as they won by a Josh Scowen goal in the first half. Playing the final 36 minutes with just 10 men the Reds put in a hard working performance and left the field deserved winners.

Mark Burton made two changes for the Scunthorpe United match with George Waring returning the starting line-up and John O'Sullivan making his first start for the Reds. Kane Hemmings and Leroy Lita dropped to the bench.

The Iron made one change with Isaiah Osbourne replacing George Evans in the starting eleven.

The Iron were quick to press Barnsley's back line with Paddy Madden putting some dangerous crosses early in the game but the Reds were able to clear their lines.

On 4 minutes Madden had a good opportunity to open the scoring when he was played in on the edge of the box unmarked but Davies saved his initial shot and from the rebound Madden was unable to find a team mate.

A couple of minutes later a good interception from Scowen drew a foul just 20 yards out from Scunthorpe's goal. Hourihane drove the free kick low fizzing just wide of the goals and Daniels hands.

On ten minutes a whipped in cross looked destined for Paddy Madden who would have been on his own but a well placed header from George Smith glanced the ball to Davies. Straight up the other end Conor Hourihane got a decent shot away but Daniels was equal to the challenge.

Barnsley were playing with pace, in and out of possession which made Scunthorpe's life more difficult.

On 15 minutes Scunthorpe captain Bishop played a ball over the defence for Madden to run onto, he got his shot away, but fortunately it was into the side netting.

John O'Sullivan weaved his way int the opposition box on 19 minutes but one touch too many took the ball too far to get an effective shot away.

All the attacking play was coming through Madden for Scunthorpe and he again set up a chance for Bishop but the ball was deflected for a corner. From the corner came another chance with Davies just managing to keep the ball out and then Kevin van Veen got into the action with a head that Davies parried away. 

On 29 minutes Hourihane had a chance from distance after the ball was well worked down the wing with a ball crossed towards the edge of the box but the shot was straight at the keeper.

An excellent run down the wing from O'Sullivan had Williams at sixes and sevens and he got the ball to Waring and then it fell for Scowen but his shot was deflected for a Barnsley throw.

The Scunthorpe captain, Neal Bishop, was the first player to go into the referee's book after a challenge on James Bailey on the half way line.

With ten minutes to the break Josh Scowen tried a shot from all of 30 yards but he caught it wrong and the ball went well wide.

A quickly taken throw in by Scowen sent Hourihane to the byline and his cut back fell for Waring to shot but at the keeper. It was a good move that could have put the Reds in front.

On 42 M'voto was booked for a challenge in the air on Isaiah Osbourne. Marcus Williams who had been earlier injured had to come off with Eddie Nolan replacing him. 

With a couple of injuries four minutes were added on to the end of the first half.

At the end of the half Barnsley had one last attacking move with James Bailey cracking a shot on target but straight to the keeper.

Second Half

Scunthorpe had an early sight of goal through van Veen when his shot in the box was smartly saved by Adam Davies. 

Barnsley took the lead through Josh Scowen after he capitalised from a poor touch from Jordan Clarke to get in to shoot making no mistake from an acute angle.

Barnsley were nearly two in front a few minutes later after O'Sullivan got the move underway with eventually Cranie getting the curling shot but well off target.

Scunthorpe were quick down the wing with Tom Hopper who was fouled by M'voto. The Barnsley man received his second yellow and was off.

On 57 Bishop came close for Scunthorpe but Davies was able to tip the ball over the bar as the Reds played with 10 men.

M'voto's red card brought a substitution from the Reds with Holgate replacing O'Sullivan.

Paddy Madden thought he had scored after he reacted quickly to get to the ball but as he started to celebrate the linesman had already put up his flag for offside.

Scunthorpe again had the ball into the back of the net but the officials ruled a foul on the keeper as McSheffrey put it in the net.

On 73 minutes Scunthorpe had a great chance from a corner with the header by Boyce tipped over the bar by Davies. Another good save from the Barnsley keeper.

Scunthorpe were pressing very hard with the one man advantage, but Barnsley were standing resolute.

There was a good breaking move on 79 minutes with Scowen and Waring presented Hourihane with an opportunity but Daniels was quick out to get the ball and catching the Barnsley midfielder.

An 86th minute corner for Scunthorpe was gathered by Davies at the second time of asking before anyone had time to react.

On 90th minutes Davies was again called into action when he parried a shot from Madden that fortunately fell for Holgate to clear.

Five minutes of added time were indicated as Barnsley prepared to make a double substitution. On came Luke Berry and Rhys Oates for Conor Hourihane and George Waring.

Try as they might Scunthorpe could not breach the Barnsley defence as they held out for the victory.

Barnsley: Davies, Cranie, Nyatanga, M'Voto (s/o 54), Smith, O'Sullivan (Holgate 59), Hourihane (Berry 90), Pearson, Scowen, Bailey, Waring (Oates 90).

Subs: Dibble, Lita, Hemmings, Lalkovic

Scunthorpe United: Daniels, Clarke, Boyce, Canavan, Williams (Nolan 43), Bishop, O'Neil (Evans 73), Osbourne (McSheffrey 64), Madden, Hopper, van Veen.

Subs: Anyon, Adelakun, Wootton, Llera.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account