Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Crawley Town v Reds: Full Time

14 February 2015

Club News

Crawley Town v Reds: Full Time

14 February 2015

Crawley Town 5 (McLeod 45+2, 71, 83, Bradley 47, Elliott 59)
Reds 1 (Hemmings 65)

Barnsley were left embarrassed by relegation strugglers Crawley Town as they were thumped 5-1 on a forgetful afternoon for 419 travelling Tykes.

Remarkably the Reds had completely controlled and dominated the first half but were left a goal down by half time - which went from bad to worse after the break.

With four minutes played George Waring seemed to have half a chance to find the net from inside the six-yard box after his run was well picked out by Milan Lalkovic but Bradley appeared from nowhere to deny him a clean effort.

The Reds looked bright and up for the clash after forcing three corners early on. Leroy Lita was unlucky to not control Hourihane's wonderfully-flighted ball from the right for what would have been a golden opportunity.

On 11 minutes, Mason Holgate cracked a decent effort at goal from 30 yards that Lewis Price had to do well to deal with.

Pearson and Hourihane's passing was sharp, with the former catching Leroy's Lita's run with perfection on 15 minutes but his delivery for Waring was cleared.

A combination of Lewis Price and the crossbar saved Crawley from a Barnsley opener on 23 minutes. Hourihane's delivery was met by Holgate's header but the Crawley 'keeper turned the youngster's effort onto the bar and out for another corner.

On the half hour, Milan Lalkovic did well to control on the left wing before charging towards goal. After a couple of twists and turns he unleashed a vicious low drive that zipped inches past the wrong side of the post.

The home side came fairly close for an opener themselves on 32 minutes but Mathias Pogba's overhead attempt sailed wide of Turnbull's right-hand post.

The hosts' best chance came for McLeod a minute later when he latched onto Lewis Price's pumped ball downfield. However his shot lacked power as he sought to poke home and Cranie cleared with ease.

Six minutes before the break saw a free-kick allow Hourihane a pop at goal and he so very nearly gave his side the lead. From a full 25-yards he bent a brilliant effort towards the top corner but it rippled the side-netting.

Deep into the two minutes added, Mathias Pogba's flick found McLeod in on goal and he had the easy task of dinking past Turnbull.

Second half

It was a nightmare start to the second period as the home side double their lead within 90 seconds of the restart. A deep free-kick may have been misjudged by the Barnsley back five and somehow the ball dropped kindly for Sonny Bradley who slotted into the bottom corner from seven yards.

The Reds' first shot of the second half came from Conor Hourihane but he blasted wide from 22 yards after picking up possession from the right-hand side.

An almost carbon copy of Crawley's second goal was made by Marvin Elliott on 59 minutes to give his side a 3-0 lead. This prompted a triple substitution from Caretaker boss Mark Burton, with M'voto, Hemmings and Oates replacing Waring, Lita and Smith.

Rhys Oates had an immediate impact as he powered in from the left but was denied by the legs of Lewis Price from a fairly tight angle.

Oates again got involved, this time for a goal, as Holgate's cross was guided into the path of Hemmings by the Barnsley youngster. Hemmings was in acres of space and glanced his header past Price from inside the six-yard box.

With 71 played an incredible goalmouth scramble ensued in the Barnsley box. McLeod had the goal at his mercy but was thwarted by Turnbull's low save and the rebound was thundered off the post and across the line.

But Barnsley made yet another mistake - the story of their season - as Nyatanga's pass went straight to Izale McLeod. The thorn in Barnsley's side in both encounters this season, made no mistake from the edge of the box and duly punished the sorry Reds.

It got even worse for Barnsley on 83 minutes as a bad pass in Crawley's half was picked up by Lewis Young. He charged forward with Scowen chasing but Turnbull appeared to have rescued the situation with a fine save. McLeod, however, had other ideas and hammered into the top corner for 5-1 and to embarrass the Reds.


Crawley: Price, Young, Ward, Bradley, Dickinson, Edwards, Elliott, Fowler (Smith 79), Wordsworth (Morgan 75), Pogba (Tomlin 59), McLeod.
Subs: Dutton, Smith, Anderson, Bawling.

Reds: Turnbull, Smith (M'voto 60), Holgate, Cranie, Nyatanga, Pearson, Scowen, Lalkovic, Hourihane, Lita (Hemmings 60), Waring (Oates 60).
Subs: Davies, Williams, Bailey, Berry.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account