Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wigan v Reds: Half Time

5 December 2015

Club News

Wigan v Reds: Half Time

5 December 2015

Wigan 0
Reds 1 (Hammill 42)

Barnsley lead in the JPT at Wigan courtesy of Adam Hammill's cracking goal and there looks to only be one winner if the Reds can keep up their brilliant tempo.

There was an early scare as Andy Kellett went down in the box under the presence of Adam Hammill but Mr Hill waved away the half-hearted appeals of the home side. Barnsley went up the other end straight away and good interchange play between Watkins and Winnall almost allowed a shot for the latter but Wigan managed to clear their lines.

On six minutes, Jaaskelainen was tested by Ben Pearson's fierce drive from 25 yards with the veteran goalkeeper gathering at the second attempt.

Barnsley were looking dangerous as they attacked with flair and almost saw Watkins have a simple tap-in at the far stick from Hammill's cross on 13 minutes but he was blocked off by James.

With 16 gone, a soft free-kick for a foul by Hourihane saw the midfielder collect his fifth caution of the campaign, meaning he'll miss next Saturday's match at Colchester United.

Ivan Toney saw a header dip just over the bar when he met Adam Hammill's left-footed cross from the right on 24 minutes. Barnsley were looking the better team going forward with Davies having barely touched the ball in the Barnsley goal.

On 32 minutes Adam Hammill took matters into his own hands as he powered 50 yards with the ball past four players and his shot from 20 yards was spilled just over the bar by Jaaskelainen.

The home side looked disjointed and were making lots of errors in possession. Jacobs saw things open up on 39 minutes but hammered at least 20 yards over the bar. Moments later, Adam Hammill's cross was almost turned into his own net by Pearce as his attempted clearance whistled past his own post.

Barnsley's deserved opener finally arrived on 42 minutes after Ivan Toney flicked the ball into Hammill's path, he charged into the area and bent a wicked low shot into the far corner from a fairly tight angle.

In the two minutes of stoppage time, Marley Watkins tried his luck from the edge of the area but his effort was deflected just wide for a corner, after which saw referee blow for half time.


Wigan: Jaaskelainen, James, Kellett, Perkins, Power, Grigg, Revell, Jacobs, Barnett, Pearce, Hendry.
Subs: O'Donnell, Davies, Flores, Junior, Wildschut.

Reds: Davies, Wabara, Mawson, Nyatanga, A.White, Watkins, Pearson, Hourihane, Winnall, Hammill, Toney.
Subs: Townsend, Bree, Isgrove, R.Williams, Jackson.

Referee: Keith Hill

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account