Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wigan v Reds: Full Time

5 December 2015

Club News

Wigan v Reds: Full Time

5 December 2015

Wigan 2 (Nyatanga o.g 48, Grigg 82)
Reds 2 (Hammill 42, Toney 53)

Barnsley did it the hard way on penalties in Wigan as they booked their place in the Northern Area Final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

After an enthralling 2-2 draw, former Tykes Craig Davies and David Perkins both missed from the spot with Alfie Mawson slamming in the winning penalty - meaning the Reds are just 180 minutes from Wembley.

There was an early scare as Andy Kellett went down in the box under the presence of Adam Hammill but Mr Hill waved away the half-hearted appeals of the home side. Barnsley went up the other end straight away and good interchange play between Watkins and Winnall almost allowed a shot for the latter but Wigan managed to clear their lines.

On six minutes, Jaaskelainen was tested by Ben Pearson's fierce drive from 25 yards with the veteran goalkeeper gathering at the second attempt.

Barnsley were looking dangerous as they attacked with flair and almost saw Watkins have a simple tap-in at the far stick from Hammill's cross on 13 minutes but he was blocked off by James.

With 16 gone, a soft free-kick for a foul by Hourihane saw the midfielder collect his fifth caution of the campaign, meaning he'll miss next Saturday's match at Colchester United.

Ivan Toney saw a header dip just over the bar when he met Adam Hammill's left-footed cross from the right on 24 minutes. Barnsley were looking the better team going forward with Davies having barely touched the ball in the Barnsley goal.

On 32 minutes Adam Hammill took matters into his own hands as he powered 50 yards with the ball past four players and his shot from 20 yards was spilled just over the bar by Jaaskelainen.

The home side looked disjointed and were making lots of errors in possession. Jacobs saw things open up on 39 minutes but hammered at least 20 yards over the bar. Moments later, Adam Hammill's cross was almost turned into his own net by Pearce as his attempted clearance whistled past his own post.

Barnsley's deserved opener finally arrived on 42 minutes after Ivan Toney flicked the ball into Hammill's path, he charged into the area and bent a wicked low shot into the far corner from a fairly tight angle.

In the two minutes of stoppage time, Marley Watkins tried his luck from the edge of the area but his effort was deflected just wide for a corner, after which saw referee blow for half time.

Second half

Unhappy with his side's first-half display, Gary Caldwell made a change from the bench as well as to his formation. It worked a treat as Wildschut, just three minutes after replacing James, crossed from the left and Nyatanga could only head into his own net for 1-1.

There was a scramble in the Barnsley box after Davies dropped a high cross on the edge of his six-yard box but Jacobs could only lash wide after Wigan were initially blocked away by Wabara on the line.

On 53 minutes Barnsley's lead was restored after a great piece of play down the left. White burst into the area and laid off for Hammill, he then teed up Hourihane whose shot was well saved by Jaaskelainen but Ivan Toney pounced on the rebound to nod home.

Barnsley once again had the bit between their teeth, showing great character to bounce back from a low blow of an own goal. 

Wigan boss Gary Caldwell made two more changes, with Davies and Flores replacing Revell and Flores on 61 minutes.

There was almost another own goal by Barnsley on 64 minutes as Mawson sliced a clearance backwards meaning Davies had to react quick to keep it out.

Jason Pearce somehow missed a sitter from underneath the crossbar after he met a deep corner at the far post on 69 minutes.

It should have been 3-1 on 73 minutes as Watkins jinked his way into the area and looked to bend home but his shot lacked the required power to trouble Jaaskelainen.

On 82 minutes Wigan levelled the tie. Craig Davies managed to work in a cross and Will Grigg arrived to sweep home from five yards.

The clock was ticking towards penalties as Barnsley forced two corners in quick succession with Winnall slicing over on the volley.

On 89 minutes Toney could have had his second and a winner but he dragged just wide after a 50-yard sprint at goal on the counter whilst at the other end a poor pass to Davies denied the ex-Tyke a free shot at goal.

Barnsley made their first change in the sixth minute of stoppage time with James Bree replacing Ben Pearson, who had been suffering with cramp after a real shift in the middle of the park.

The final whistle brought the match to an end at 2-2, meaning penalties followed.

Max Power GOAL
Conor Hourihane GOAL
Craig Davies MISS
Ivan Toney GOAL
David Perkins MISS
Sam Winnall GOAL
Jordan Flores GOAL
Alfie Mawson GOAL

Reds win 4-2 on penalties!


Wigan: Jaaskelainen, James (Wildschut 46), Kellett, Perkins, Power, Grigg, Revell (Davies 61), Jacobs (Flores 61), Barnett, Pearce, Hendry.
Subs: O'Donnell, Davies, Flores, Junior.

Reds: Davies, Wabara, Mawson, Nyatanga, A.White, Watkins, Pearson (Bree 90+6), Hourihane, Winnall, Hammill, Toney.
Subs: Townsend, Isgrove, R.Williams, Jackson.

Referee: Keith Hill

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account