Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Wigan: Half Time

19 December 2015

Club News

Reds v Wigan: Half Time

19 December 2015

Reds 0

Wigan 1 (Kellett 18)

Barnsley head in at half-time trailing Wigan Athletic 1-0 courtesy of Andy Kellett’s 18th strike.

The Reds created all of the early chances and did all the early running but Sam Winnall’s close range header was the closest the Reds came to a breakthrough.

A quick Latics counter attack saw Michael Jacobs slip in Kellett, who bent the ball around Adam Davies and just inside the post to provide the only goal of the opening half.

The Reds forced a corner inside the opening minute and after Wigan briefly cleared their lines, Latics defender Craig Morgan’s header almost looped over Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Jason Pearce was cautioned for a foul on Adam Hammill and Conor Hourihane bent the resulting effort wide, before Ivan Toney’s clever flick was diverted behind by Pearce.

Oakwell debutant Kevin Long was unable to head the chance home while Will Grigg’s sixth minute cross was smartly saved by Adam Davies.

Eighteen minutes in, Hammill darted down the left-hand side but his teasing cross has headed inches over by Sam Winnall.

Wigan immediately countered and Michael Jacobs’ incisive through ball was bent home by Andy Kellett, giving the Latics the early lead.

The Reds had a chance to level on 25 minutes as Hourihane’s long ball forward was headed on by Toney but Marley Watkins scuffed the effort from close range.

Both sides continued to exchange possession until Hammill whipped in a dangerous cross which Watkins was unable to glance home.


Reds: Davies, Wabara, Long, Nyatanga, A. White, Watkins, Pearson, Hourihane, Hammill, Winnall, Toney.

Subs: Townsend, Mawson, R. Williams, Isgrove, Bree, Jackson, Abbott.

Wigan: Jaaskelainen, Love, Morgan, Pearce, Daniels, Kellett, James, Perkins, Power, Jacobs, Grigg.

Subs: Nicholls, Barnett, Chow, Davies, Revell, Hiwula, Wildschut.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account