Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Scunthorpe United v Reds: Half Time

11 August 2015

Club News

Scunthorpe United v Reds: Half Time

11 August 2015

Scunthorpe Utd 0
Reds 0 (Watkins m/p 13)

A Marley Watkins missed penalty means the Reds are still level-pegging at the midway point of this tie at Glanford Park, with the score still goalless.

Marc Roberts had to receive some treatment early on for a bust nose and was back on the pitch just after Scunthorpe's first attack on five minutes. Clarke's cross eventually fell Wiseman's way but he shot straight at Nyatanga before the defender cleared.

On 11 minutes the first proper chance fell for Scunthorpe's Darius Henderson as the experienced frontman found himself in on goal. The ball fell kindly for the striker in the box but he placed his left-footed strike too close to Townsend who punched away.

The Reds were awarded a penalty on 13 minutes after a fabulous passage of play involving Scowen and Watkins - the latter laid it off for Scowen who charged into the box but he was brought down by Mirfin. Watkins stepped up to take but was denied by Anyon's save to the goalkeeper's left.

Barnsley had found their rhythm despite the penalty miss and were dominating midfield. Rothwell linked up with Pearson for the former to curl at goal on 18 minutes although his effort sailed just over the bar.

On 29 minutes, after a prolonged spell of possession, Watkins went close with a vicious volley. James Bree sent in a dangerous cross and the forward hammered just over the bar from 12 yards.

The home side could have taken the lead twice in the space of a minute after Madden capitalised on Scowen's short pass only to fire at Townsend on 34 minutes. Moments later, Henderson tested Townsend again as he raced onto Madden's through-ball and the Reds just about cleared from under the nose of Madden.

James Bree took matters into his own hands on 41 minutes after more good, patient play from the Reds. The youngster cut inside from the right before unleashing a vicious drive which was, unfortunately, always rising and went over.

After the home side had the ball in the net only for it to be ruled offside, Townsend prevented a certain opener as he expertly tipped away Madden's 22-yard drive on 44 minutes.

Half time


Scunthorpe Utd: Anyon, Clarke, Wiseman, King, Mirfin, Laird, Bishop, Dawson, McAllister, Henderson, Madden.
Subs: Watson, van Veen, Adelakun, Goode, Hopper, McSheffrey, Wootton.

Reds: Townsend, Bree, Roberts, Mawson, Smith, Pearson, Scowen, Rothwell, Wilkinson, Watkins.
Subs: Davies, Winnall, Hourihane, Maris, Williams, Digby. Templeton.

Referee: Graham Salisbury
Assistant Referees: Ken Haycock & Peter Gooch
Fourth Official: Wayne Grunnill

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account