Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Huddersfield Town: Full Time

1 August 2015

Reds 2 (Winnall 33, Holgate 47)
Huddersfield Town 1 (Wells 20)

Barnsley's pre-season ended with a well-deserved win on Yorkshire day against their local rivals, Huddersfield Town.

After the visitors took the lead through Nahki Wells, Sam Winnall and Mason Holgate hit back with a goal in each half to secure a deserved win.

Lee Johnson will certainly be happy with his side's display - which got stronger as the game went on - dominating in large parts, particularly in the final third of the match.

It was a relatively quiet opening and the closest either side came to a clear effort on goal was on nine minutes but Nahki Wells's shot was blocked by the boot of Mawson.

On 12 minutes Barnsley registered their attempt through Sam Winnall. Patient play down the middle from Pearson and Crowley eventually gave Winnall space to advance on goal but he hammered wide with the left boot from 20 yards.

Crowley had a sight of goal on the stroke of 15 minutes after Winnall charged at the Huddersfield defence. His placed effort was smartly saved by Smithies, however, low to his left.

Roberts did well to clear a deflected cross with 17 played after Smith had whipped in a dangerous cross from the right that seemed destined for the path of Miller.

The visitors opened the scoring on 20 minutes through an emphatic finish from Nahki Wells. The frontman turned Roberts in the box twice before thumping into the roof of the net from a fairly tight angle.

Former Tyke Butterfield took advantage of an opening from 30 yards as he blasted at goal but couldn't keep his strike down on 22 minutes.

On 33 minutes Barnsley hauled themselves level through Sam Winnall. A backpass from Kyle Dempsey was way too short, and Winnall was alert enough to pounce before absolutely lashing into the top corner for 1-1.

The Reds were ending the first half the more dominant of the two teams and Crowley was showing his class as he flicked into Scowen's path - the midfielder's shot was deflected out for a corner on 42 minutes.

Holgate did well at the far post to block on the line and deny Huddersfield as Mawson's header deflected backwards. From the resulting clearance, Town were awarded a free-kick after Scowen tackled Dempsey but Lynch blasted straight into the wall.

Second half

Less than two minutes after the break, Barnsley took the lead. Josh Scowen whipped in a corner to the near post and after Alfie Mawson dashed over the ball, Mason Holgate was first to pounce and turn home from five yards.

Marley Watkins forced Smithies into a smart save on 55 minutes as he drilled low towards goal from 20 yards. At the break from the resulting corner, Sam Winnall and Marley Watkins were replaced by Simeon Jackson and Conor Wilkinson.

It should have been three for Barnsley on 65 minutes after the best move of the match by far. Jackson cushioned a ball into feet for Watkins who, in turn, returned the favour for Jackson whose placed shot hammered the bar.

Butterfield enjoyed a couple of long-range efforts but sent two straight down the throat of Davies from 25 yards.

Barnsley were enjoying plenty of the ball and after prolonged passage of play, Holgate whipped in a cross for Wilkinson who just couldn't quite connect with a clean header on 77 minutes.

With 11 left on the watch, Mason Holgate was replaced by James Bree and Conor Hourihane came on for his first taste of pre-season, replacing Josh Scowen.

The visitors had a chance late on with a free-kick right on the edge of the box after Smith was penalised for a high boot. Arguably the block of the match came a Roberts made a tremendous last-ditch dive to deny Lolley from the rebound of Butterfield's free-kick which kindly fell for the Town man eight yards out.


Reds: Davies, Holgate (Bree 79), Roberts, Mawson, Nyatanga, Smith, Pearson, Crowley (Digby 59), Scowen (Hourihane 79), Watkins (Jackson 56), Winnall (Wilkinson 56).
Subs: Dibble, Maris, Phenix.

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Lynch, Dempsey, Whitehead, Scannell, Smith (Cranie 73), Davidson (Bunn 82), Wells (Hiwula 73), Hudson, Butterfield, Miller (Vaughan 61).
Subs: Murphy, Hogg, Wallace, Lolley, Boyle.

Referee: Ross Joyce
Assistant Referees: Alf Greenwood & Matt Sowerby
Fourth Official: Dane McCarick

Attendance: 2,787 (647 Huddersfield)

Advertisement block