Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 11/08/2015

11 August 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 11/08/2015

11 August 2015

Scunthorpe Utd 1 (Madden pen 53)
Reds 1 (Watkins m/p 13, Scowen pen 47)

Barnsley win 7-6 on Penalties

Paddy Madden - Goal
Sam Winnall - Goal
Tom Hopper - Goal
Conor Hourihane - Goal
Hakeeb Adelakun -Goal
Josh Scowen - Goal
Scott Laird - Goal
Alfie Mawson - Goal
Neal Bishop - Goal
Marc Roberts - Goal
van Veen - Miss
Ben Pearson - Miss
David Mirfin - Goal
Lewin Nyatanga - Goal
McAllister - Miss
James Bree - GOAL!

Barnsley are through to the second round of the Capital One Cup after a dramatic penalty shootout victory at Glanford Park.

It was a game packed full of penalties with three in normal time, one of which was missed by Marley Watkins, but Barnsley got the better of the Iron in a 16-spot-kick shootout following extra time.

Marc Roberts had to receive some treatment early on for a bust nose and was back on the pitch just after Scunthorpe's first attack on five minutes. Clarke's cross eventually fell Wiseman's way but he shot straight at Nyatanga before the defender cleared.

On 11 minutes the first proper chance fell for Scunthorpe's Darius Henderson as the experienced frontman found himself in on goal. The ball fell kindly for the striker in the box but he placed his left-footed strike too close to Townsend who punched away.

The Reds were awarded a penalty on 13 minutes after a fabulous passage of play involving Scowen and Watkins - the latter laid it off for Scowen who charged into the box but he was brought down by Mirfin. Watkins stepped up to take but was denied by Anyon's save to the goalkeeper's left.

Barnsley had found their rhythm despite the penalty miss and were dominating midfield. Rothwell linked up with Pearson for the former to curl at goal on 18 minutes although his effort sailed just over the bar.

On 29 minutes, after a prolonged spell of possession, Watkins went close with a vicious volley. James Bree sent in a dangerous cross and the forward hammered just over the bar from 12 yards.

The home side could have taken the lead twice in the space of a minute after Madden capitalised on Scowen's short pass only to fire at Townsend on 34 minutes. Moments later, Henderson tested Townsend again as he raced onto Madden's through-ball and the Reds just about cleared from under the nose of Madden.

James Bree took matters into his own hands on 41 minutes after more good, patient play from the Reds. The youngster cut inside from the right before unleashing a vicious drive which was, unfortunately, always rising and went over.

After the home side had the ball in the net only for it to be ruled offside, Townsend prevented a certain opener as he expertly tipped away Madden's 22-yard drive on 44 minutes.

Second half

The second half exploded into life with another penalty awarded to the Reds. Wilkinson was upended by Anyon after rounding the 'keeper meaning Scowen got the chance to score from the spot. The midfielder made no mistake as he sent the 'keeper the wrong way.

The home side were awarded a penalty themselves on 52 minutes and it seemed Alfie Mawson was the man penalised for an apparent foul on Paddy Madden. The striker dusted himself down to despatch the spot-kick for 1-1.

Four minutes pas the hour, Sam Winnall came on to face his former side as he replaced Conor Wilkinson in attack.

Chances dried up in the mid-way point of the second half although Townsend made a great save low to his left to keep Laird's drilled effort out on 71 minutes.

On 72 minutes Sam Winnall set Marley Watkins off down the left and the forward cut inside onto his right before placing a shot low inches wide of the far post.

After Hopper got lucky at Townsend's near post following Dawson's cross, Madden had the goal at his mercy but shot wide from 12 yards.

Both teams were determined not to let extra time ensue as they went for the winner and the game stretched. 

Scunthorpe should have scored on 88 minutes after Paddy Madden raced forward and skipped beyond Roberts to go one-on-one with Townsend. The on-loan Birmingham 'keeper made a fantastic stop before Nyatanga cleared and prevent a Scunthorpe second.

Barnsley's second chance came seconds after the Scunthorpe chance with Conor Hourihane replacing Joe Rothwell.

Five minutes of added time was indicated by the Fourth Official with extra time beckoning. 

Again Madden went closest for the Iron as he turned to volley at goal from the edge of the box. Thankfully, Townsend watched as the ball flew past the wrong side of the post.

Extra time

With ten minutes gone in the first period of extra time, Matty Templeton came on for his Reds debut as he replaced fellow Academy graduate George Smith.

The Reds then went to a 4-1-4-1 formation with Nyatanga at left-back and the debutant Templeton on the left wing.

Conor Hourihane should have made it 2-1 on 104 minutes when he was sent clear down the middle by Winnall. The Irishman's placed straight into the arms of Anyon from inside the box. Moments later, Hourihane volleyed a yard over the bar after the ball dropped his way on the edge of the box.

In the second period of extra time, obviously both sides were tiring but still going for the jugular on the counter. From a corner, Nyatanga saw his header blocked whilst great recovery by Roberts and Bree at the other end prevented an Iron winner as they pressed on a counter-attack.

Neither team could find the elusive second, meaning penalties were on the cards.

James Bree was the hero as the 17-year-old stepped up to score the decisive 16th spot-kick in front of the Barnsley fans.


Scunthorpe Utd: Anyon, Clarke, Wiseman (Adelakun 80), King, Mirfin, Laird, Bishop, Dawson (Van Veen 83), McAllister, Henderson (Hopper 69), Madden.
Subs: Watson, Goode, McSheffrey, Wootton.

Reds: Townsend, Bree, Roberts, Mawson, Smith (Templeton 100), Pearson, Scowen, Rothwell (Hourihane 89), Wilkinson (Winnall 64), Watkins.
Subs: Davies, Maris, Williams, Digby.

Referee: Graham Salisbury
Assistant Referees: Ken Haycock & Peter Gooch
Fourth Official: Wayne Grunnill

Attendance: 3,003 (734)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account