Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v York City: Full Time

2 September 2014

Club News

Reds v York City: Full Time

2 September 2014

Reds 2 v 0 York City

Cole 63, Hemmings 80.

Barnsley are through to the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy after claiming a 2-0 victory over neighbours York City at Oakwell.

Both goals came in the second half as a much improved 45 minutes was capped off firstly by a goal from Devante Cole on his full debut for the Reds before Kane Hemmings opened his account for Barnsley from 25 yards with a wonder goal with ten minutes to play.

Vowing to take the competition seriously, Reds boss Danny Wilson has named a strong side tonight that includes a full debut for young Devante Cole at the head of the Reds’ attack.

Matching Barnsley’s determination, Nigel Worthington’s York City started the game well. After an early scare for the Reds from a corner, Joe Dudgeon was able to deal with the danger before both sides traded possession for the opening minutes.

Fifteen minutes into the first half, with the Reds still looking to find their feet in the game, it was the visitors who had seen most of the possession.

Continuing to defend well, York’s second corner of the game did present some danger but it was Nyatanga at the back for the Reds who headed the ball clear and again took the pressure off the Barnsley goal.

The game’s first shot on target came 21 minutes into the half as Adam Davies in the Barnsley goal was forced to get down low and save a good driven effort from York’s John McCombe.

Barnsley’s first real chance came soon afterwards as Cole won a free kick on the right flank after being pushed off the ball.

The resulting delivery from Conor Hourihane was a dangerous one and after beating the first man, Ingham in the York goal was unable to punch clear but he was saved by the offside flag as the attack came to an end.

It was almost third time lucky for York as their third corner almost saw them go ahead. A good delivery met the head of John McCombe but his powerful effort went wide of Davies’ near post.

With 10 minutes left in the first half, Barnsley nearly went ahead. A quick move from the Reds saw Sam Winnall through on goal and he unselfishly squared the ball to Conor Hourihane who saw his shot from 12 yards deflected wide.

The resulting corner for the Reds was followed by a goalmouth scramble but frustratingly for the Tykes, the York defence stood strong.

With two minutes left in the half, Winnall again found himself through on goal with an opportunity to put the Reds ahead at the death.

After some good footwork, Winnall eventually released his shot but he was unable to beat Ingham in the York goal as the half ended with the score still 0-0.

Second Half-

Immediately looking to get on top after the break, Barnsley came out of the blocks quickly. Dale Jennings took things into his own hands and beat his man only to be tripped on his way by.

The resulting free kick, taken by the in-form Conor Hourihane went over the bar as Barnsley’s number 8 was unable to keep his effort down.

Continuing to remind Barnsley of their danger, York didn’t settle back for the second half. Former Barnsley man Michael Coulson threatened the Reds’ goal but his effort whistled past the post of Adam Davies.

Conor Hourihane continued to look like the most likely source of a goal for the Reds. With an hour played, a good one touch move involving Sam Winnall and Brad Abbott fed Hourihane but his shot fell comfortably into the hands of Ingham in the Minstermen’s goal.

Soon afterwards, the Reds took the lead through Devante Cole. A good cross from sixteen year old James Bree presented the Manchester City loanee with the perfect chance to put Barnsley in front and he had no problems with knocking the ball home from 5 yards for his second Barnsley goal.

Seemingly galvanised by taking the lead, the Reds looked to take control of the game thereafter. Jennings who had been causing problems for the Minstermen’s defence all evening fired a powerful shot towards goal only to see it saved by the York keeper.

With ten minutes left of the tie, Barnsley doubled their lead as substitute Kane Hemmings struck a wonderful effort from 25 yards, beating the keeper with a little help from the post for his first Tykes goal.

A free kick on the edge of the York box with one minute left on the clock could have seen the Reds make it three but after some spectacular goals in recent games, Hourihane wasn’t able to put the icing on the cake this time around as Danny Wilson’s side had to make do with an impressive two goal victory.


Reds: Davies, Brown, Dudgeon, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Hourihane, Winnall (66), Jennings, Abbott, Bree (81), Cole.

Subs: Turnbull, Berry (81), Hemmings (66) , M'Voto, McHale.


York City: Ingham, McCoy, Ilesanmi, McCombe, Coulson (66), Summerfield, Fletcher (45), Penn (C) (74), Straker, Lowe, Meikle.

Subs: Mooney, Montrose (74) , Winfield, Hirst (66), Hyde (45).


Attendance: 4218 (521 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account