Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Bradford: Full Time

12 October 2014

Club News

Reds v Bradford: Full Time

12 October 2014

Reds 3 (Nyatanga 49, Winnall 66, Hemmings 90+5)
Bradford 1 (Kennedy 1)

After going behind very early on in the first half, Barnsley fought back throughout the game to get back on top. Second half goals from Lewin Nyatanga, Sam Winnall and Hemmings capped off a fantastic display for the Reds that saw them come from behind to claim all three points in the Yorkshire derby.

This afternoon’s Yorkshire derby at Oakwell got off to an explosive start although it was the visitors who drew first blood.

Less than a minute in it was Bradford’s Jason Kennedy who put the Bantams in front after finding space in the Reds’ box to unleash a low effort and beat Turnbull between the sticks.

Looking to find an immediate response to the early goal, Barnsley’s Luke Berry spearheaded an attacking move after six minutes that climaxed with the midfielder’s 20 yard effort being tipped around the post by Bradford’s on loan keeper Jordan Pickford.

Remaining on top for the following minutes, Bradford’s Pickford was forced into action again after quarter of an hour, this time making a good save from a long range Hourihane effort.

Keeping the Bantams’ keeper busy, Sam Winnall was the next man to test Pickford as his pile driver of an effort from 25 yards was impressively kept out.

The chances continued to come for Winnall and Barnsley, creating space on the right wing, Winnall was able to shoot from the edge of the box with just under 10 minutes left in the first period. 

Although his effort looked to have beaten the Bradford keeper this time, the crossbar came to the rescue of the Bantams and ensured they remained in front.

In the last minute of the half Pickford continued to impress, sprawling to keep out a looping header from Winnall that looked goal bound as soon as it left his head.

Second Half-

An inverse of the first period, it was the Reds who scored in the opening exchanges this time around. The equaliser came only three minutes in after Hourihane chose to swing in a cross from a free kick that was powerfully headed home by Lewin Nyatanga.

Threatening the Bradford goal, the Reds pressed the visitors for an opportunity that eventually came when Winnall was given plenty of space on the edge of the Bantams’ box. Lashing an effort goal towards goal, the shot narrowly went wide of its mark before the Bradford keeper made his feelings known to his defensive colleagues for giving the Barnsley front man so much room.

Winnall’s continued efforts were eventually rewarded in the 66th minute when Nyatanga did well down the left side to put in a low cross that was gratefully smashed home by the frontman to put the Reds ahead for the first time in the game.

Successfully defending their lead going into the final ten minutes, the Reds almost made it three when Devante Cole put in a low cross for Winnall from the right after beating his man. 

Seeing the effort deflect wide for a corner, the Reds continued to impose themselves on the visitors as the game drew to a close.

The third did eventually come as both sides were waiting for the full time whistle. Caught sleeping at the back, substitute Kane Hemmings took advantage of Bradford’s defence and was able to ensure all three points, beating Pickford down to his right only seconds before the end.

Reds: Turnbull, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie, Williams (86), Hourihane, Winnall (90), Ramage, Bree, Bailey, Cole (90).
Subs: Brown (86), Dudgeon, Treacy, Hemmings (90), Davies, M’Voto, Lita (90).

Bradford: Pickford, Darby (86), Davies, Sheehan, McLean, Liddle, Clarke (79), Knott (62), Yeates, Kennedy, McArdle.
Subs: Williams, Meredith, Dolan, Routis, McBurnie (79), Morais (62), Bennett (86).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account