Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds U21s suffer narrow loss to Huddersfield

8 October 2014

Club News

Reds U21s suffer narrow loss to Huddersfield

8 October 2014

Reds 0 vs 1 Huddersfield
Bojaj 48

The Reds are out of the Professional Development League Cup after losing 1-0 to Huddersfield in the opening round.

A good display in the first half saw the game remain tight until Huddersfield scored their only goal of the game, two minutes after the restart.

Unlucky not to find a way back into the game, the Reds were left frustrated as they were unable to grab an equaliser in the remainder of the game.

Things started off well for the young Barnsley side, keeping their Yorkshire neighbours at bay for the opening minutes.

The game’s first chance fell to Huddersfield but Adam Davies in the Barnsley goal made a strong save after six minutes.

Counter attacking from a Huddersfield chance after ten minutes, the Reds found themselves through on goal as Dom McHale released an effort but the chance came to nothing after he was temporarily injured in the process.

With almost half an hour on the clock, the Reds won a free kick on the edge of the Huddersfield box after McHale was brought down. Darren McKnight took the resulting free kick but he saw his effort just miss its target, landing on the roof of the net.

Adam Davies continued to perform well between the sticks for the remainder of the first half, saving several good shots from Huddersfield, in particular a thunderbolt of an effort from Town right back Jordan Sinnott with just over ten minutes left in the first period.

It was the hosts who almost took the lead in the 39th minute but Davies was able to make a finger tips save to tip Matt Crooks’ effort onto the post.

Second Half-

Not long after the restart, Huddersfield took the lead as Flo Bojaj headed in Sinnott’s corner. Soon after, Huddersfield almost doubled their lead but Daniel Carr’s effort came back off the post.

Bringing on Boakye-Yiadom not long after conceding, the Reds continued to search for the equalising goal.

Despite playing good football, the Reds were left frustrated after the following ten minutes resulted in a period of good possession, but no clear cut chances.

Winning a corner 78th minute, the Reds were unable to take advantage of the chance as the ball made its way all the back to Ryan Towner after the set play was taken short.

Another opportunity arose a few minutes afterwards but McKnight’s free kick from 25 yards was tipped over the bar by Huddersfield keeper Lloyd Allinson.

Not for a want of trying, the game ended with the hosts on top as it will be Huddersfield who will progress to the next round.

Reds: Davies, Towner, Noble-Lazarus, McKnight, Holgate, Cowgill, McHale, Abbott, Kerr (56), Maris, Samuelson (63).
Subs: Dibble, Patterson, Smith (63), Hodd, Boakye-Yiadom (56).

Huddersfield: Allinson, Sinnott, Boyle, Tronstad, Wright, Wilkinson, Atkinson, Billing, Carr (68), Bojaj (85), Crooks (90).
Subs: Holmes (85), Wilczynski, Booty, Hanson (90), Pyke (68).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account