Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Oldham v Reds Full Time Report

7 October 2014

Club News

Oldham v Reds Full Time Report

7 October 2014

Oldham 2
Poleon 22, Philliskirk 44

Barnsley 2
Berry 53, Winnall 90

Penalty Shootout
Oldham 4 Barnsley 2


At dramatic evening at Boundary Park saw Barnsley comeback from 2-0 down to equalise in the last minute to force a penalty shootout. 

But Oldham were victorious in the end winning the penalty shootout 4-2 after Winnall and Hemmings could not convert their spot kicks and only Wilkinson from Oldham had his saved from Turnbull.

Danny Wilson made three changes for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy match against Oldham with Ryan Williams making his debut and Dudgeon and Brown coming back into the startling lineup.

Martin Cranie was rested, while Devante Cole and Peter Ramage dropped to the subs bench.

Wilkinson got the first shot of the game on 8 minutes but it was comfortably gathered by Turnbull. A minute later Poleon found himself in space in the box and with time to shoot but fortunately his attempt went narrowly wide.

On 12 minutes Wilkinson played a good ball in for Dayton to get a shot on target but it was easily gathered by Turnbull.

Oldham were looking dangerous on the attack with Tidser playing in Dayton to feed Mills but he could not manage a telling shot. 

With 15 minutes elapsed neither keeper had been seriously tested although Oldham were making chances.

Poleon had an opportunity to open the scoring when he had a decent strike at goal but Turnbull was equal to it and got down well to save at his near post.

On 18 minutes Jones had a sight at goal and his shot was deflected for an Oldham corner.

Keith Treacy nearly opened the scoring when his shot from the edge of the area flew just wide of Rachubka’s goal but just a minute later Dominic Poleon did get his shot on target and into the net to put Oldham in front on 22 minutes.

Ryan Williams showed some good feet when he made a weaving run into the box and his cross was headed out for a corner. Oldham were able to clear their lines as they continued to push forward and showed more danger in attack in the opening 30 minutes.

Philliskirk and Wilkinson combined well with the former nearly beating Turnbull to the ball but the Barnsley keeper was quickly out to put paid to the danger.

On 30 minutes Dominic Poleon was in the box again with the ball at his feet to shoot. Turnbull got a faint touch for an Oldham corner which Barnsley managed to clear.

A couple of minutes later Oldham were on the attack again and Wilkinson was very close to a second goal with the ball fizzing just wide of Turnbull’s far post.

Straight down the other end James Bailey received the ball from Hourihane and he shot from distance which was deflected for a corner.

Ryan Williams’ debut was cut short when he hobbled off injured after just 36 minutes and was replaced by Devante Cole.

On 38 minutes Barnsley were inches away from an equaliser. Joe Dudgeon passing to Sam Winnall put in a cross for Devante Cole but the ball hit the inside of the post and bounced out to an Oldham player just evading Cole.

A few minutes later Sam Winnall in the box got hold of the ball and put in a decent shot but Rachubka was equal to it and saved. 

Barnsley were starting to create more chances as they looked to get back into the game but then a quick break by Oldham put Philliskirk into space with just Turnbull to beat and he duly dispatched the ball to get Oldham’s second on the night.

Jones was close to getting in for a third goal in injury time but he could not get a shot away from 6 yards out.

Second half

Oldham started the second half as they finished the first and Turnbull was forced into a save in the opening minute from Wilkinson. 

A couple of minutes later Wilkinson again on the attack ran to the edge of the area and with the space opening out for him he took a shot but it went high and well wide.

On 50 minutes Poleon looked to have gotten a break and had the ball at his feet with Turnbull left to beat but fortunately the Barnsley keeper saved with his feet. That was quickly followed by Wilkinson attacking goal and shooting just wide of the goals as Oldham looked for a third goal.

On 53 minutes Barnsley were back in the game when the ball fell for Luke Berry who struck the ball sweetly to score. 

Danny Wilson made a substitute after the goal bringing Kane Hemmings on in place of Keith Treacy.

As the hour mark approached Barnsley showed some good attacking team play, firstly Cole getting the final touch after Hemmings, Berry and Winnall moved the ball quickly before running out of pitch and then Cole turned provider with Hourihane’s shot blocked by the keeper.

Oldham though still made their own attacking moves as they looked to restore their two goal advantage. On 65 minutes Dayton made an attacking move, passing to Poleon for a shot which went well wide of the mark.

Sam Winnall played Luke Berry into the box but his shot from short range went over the bar.

On 72 minutes Philliskirk was close when a neat piece of play put in a good position to shoot but it was blocked for a corner which Barnsley eventually cleared.

On 76 minutes Devante Cole showed his pace by taking the ball to the byline, beating the Oldham defence. He tried cutting the ball back for Hourihane but Oldham were able to intercept and clear the potential danger.

Jones looked in a good position to finish the game off but his well taken strike was saved by Turnbull.

As the 90 minutes elapsed Sam Winnall unleased a thunderbolt shot from a full 35 yards out to get the equaliser. You won’t see a sweeter strike.

With the wind in their sails Barnsley looked to get the winner but the match finished 2-2 and into a penalty shootout.


Barnsley: Turnbull, Brown, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Treacy (Hemmings 54), Hourihane (C), Winnall, Bree, Bailey (Abbott 85), Williams (Cole 36).

Subs: Davies, Ramage.

Oldham: Rachubka, Mills, Dieng, Dayton (Winchester 81), Jones, Poleon (Turner 79), Philliskirk, Wilkinson, J Wilson (C), Tidser (Kelly 87), B Wilson.

Subs: Coleman, Brown.

Attendance: 2502 (534 Barnsley fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account