Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/10/2014

21 October 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 21/10/2014

21 October 2014

Reds 2 (Cole 8, Hourihane 12)

Notts County 3 (Thompson 20, Petrasso 62, 71)

Having taken a two goal lead within the opening 12 minutes of the game, the Reds were unable to claim their second home win in a row after Notts County fought back. The Nottinghamshire side got one back before half time and then two goals from QPR loanee Petrasso in the second half won it for the visitors.

Instantly taking control of the game, the Reds saw the majority of the play as the ball remained largely in visitor’s half for the first five minutes.

Getting the early breakthrough soon after, it was Devante Cole who put Barnsley ahead in the eighth minute after finding space between the Notts County defenders to poke the ball past Roy Carroll.

Minutes later the Reds doubled their lead after Cole’s pace again undid the Magpies’ defence. Faced with Roy Carroll between the sticks, Cole chose to unselfishly square the ball to Hourihane who was able fire emphatically into the open goal.

Largely against the run of play, the visitors shocked the Oakwell crowd in the 20th minute when Gary Thompson struck a long ball on the half volley and beat Ross Turnbull in the Barnsley goal from 25 yards.

Continuing to threaten the County goal, the Reds frontmen looked sharp as Roy Carroll had to remain on edge for the remainder of the half.

Winning a corner with just short of ten minutes left to play in the half, the following move resulted in Luke Berry finding Ryan Williams in the visitor’s box but the Fulham loanee was denied his first Reds goal by the post.

With a chance to equalise for the Magpies with around a minute left in the half, Michael Petrasso fired his effort high over the bar as the Reds successfully defended their lead into the break.

Second Half-

Looking to make amends for their poor start to the first half, County boss Derry opted to make one change at half time in a bid to find the equaliser.

Despite the visitors looking vastly improved after the break, the Reds were able to survive some early second half scares to retake control of the game.

Making a rare start for the first team, Paul Digby almost found Barnsley’s third with a long range effort in the 60th minute. Unluckily for the Reds, the young midfielder’s shot went just wide of its mark.

Immediately after, Ryan Williams was denied once again after his shot cannoned back off Hourihane in the County area.

Punished for not making the most of their chances, the Magpies equalised courtesy of QPR loanee Michael Petrasso.

The young Canadian had looked dangerous after taking a more central role in the second half and it was his headed effort that beat to Turnbull to level the game just after the hour mark.

Nine minutes later Petrasso got his second of the game and put the visitors in front for the first time in the game.

Weaving his way through the Barnsley defence, helped by a slice of luck, Petrasso was able to find enough space to put the ball past Turnbull to give his side the lead.

Struggling to find a way back into the game, the Reds earned themselves a chance to find the equaliser with 82 minutes played but after a lapse in communication, nothing came of the opportunity.

Hearts were in mouths with three minutes left on the clock as Devante Cole looked like he’d found the equaliser, turning his marker before shooting across goal. Unfortunately for Barnsley, Cole’s shot went agonisingly wide of Roy Carroll’s left post.



Reds: Turnbull, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Hourihane, Winnall, Digby (76), Ramage, Williams, Bree (68), Cole.

Subs: Davies, Brown (68), Dudgeon, Treacy (76), Hemmings, Abbott, Lita.

Notts County: Carroll, Dumbuya, Hollis, Ismail, Thompson, Jones, Noble, McLaughlin, Cranston (45), Laing, Petrasso.

Subs: Adams (45), Wroe, Murray, McKenzie, Spiess, Traore, Harrad.


Attendance: 8596

527 (Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account