Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Sheffield United v Reds: Full Time

1 November 2014

Club News

Sheffield United v Reds: Full Time

1 November 2014

Sheff Utd 0
Reds 1 (Winnall 56)

SUPER SAM WINNALL scored the only goal of the game to give Barnsley the South Yorkshire glory for the weekend.

The striker's second-half header earned Danny Wilson's side the three points in front of a record Bramall Lane crowd of the season, which included almost 3,000 Reds.

As expected it was a fast start in the South Yorkshire derby and both sides forced a corner each inside the opening two minutes.

The home fans thought Jay McEveley had given them an eighth-minute opener as the ex-Red rose highest at the far post to meet a deep corner but his effort was cleared inside the six-yard box.

Barnsley were trying to remain calm on the ball but were rushing United when the hosts did have possession. The Reds did create a great chance on 15 minutes after Joe Dudgeon cut back in from the left to curl a low cross towards Winnall but the striker scooped over from six yards.

At the other end, Wallace broke clear onto a good square ball from the left but Dudgeon got a foot in at the last-minute to deny him a clean strike on 18 minutes.

Dudgeon again came to the Reds' rescue on 24 minutes as he blocked Campbell-Ryce's attempted cross following a loss of possession by Hourihane inside his own half.

The game hit a bit of a lull just after the half-hour mark with chances drying up at both ends. Although Luke Berry registered a shot on target from 25 yards, but Howard caught with relative ease.

Berry did well to clear Doyle's dangerous ball in from the right on 40 minutes after Campbell-Ryce got lucky on the break for United.

Second half

Just over 10 minutes had gone in the second half when the next chance fell and it was for United. Campbell-Ryce jinked down the left and cut back for Harris but he shot straight at Ramage.

On 56 minutes the Reds took the lead and it was that man Sam Winnall. Conor Hourihane swung in a corner from the right and the former Scunny man rose highest to power his header home from just inside the six-yard box.

Barely a minute later and Winnall probably should have doubled the Reds' lead. Hourihane threaded the ball into the striker's path but he blazed over as the angle narrowed.

The hosts responded with a spell of pressure and the Reds had to be thankful that nobody was on hand to tap home a cross from Murphy on 68 minutes.

On 71 minutes Marc McNulty should have hauled his side level when he had the freedom of the penalty area to head at goal but he powered over from six yards.

Former Red Jamal Campbell-Ryce was replaced by Ryan Flynn for the Blades as Nigel Clough searched for a way back into the match with nine minutes left.

Ross Turnbull then came to his side's rescue as he smothered at the feet of McNulty following a great ball in by Harris on 82 minutes.

The hero of the hour Sam Winnall was replaced by Kane Hemmings for Barnsley's first sub of the match on 85 minutes.

The hosts were pressing and putting the Reds under considerable pressure in search of an equaliser but Barnsley held on for all the points.


Sheffield United: Howard, Alcock, Harris, Wallace (McNulty 59), Doyle, Murphy, Scougall, Baxter (Porter 85), McEveley, Campbell-Ryce (Flynn 81), McCarthy.
Subs: Basham, McGahey, Reed, Turner.

Barnsley: Turnbull, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie, Hourihane, Winnall (Hemmings 85), Williams, Ramage, Bailey, Cole (Bree 90+2).
Subs: Treacy, Davies, M'voto, Trotta, Lita.

Referee: Scott Mathieson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account