Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/11/2014

8 November 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 08/11/2014

8 November 2014

Reds 5 (Winnall 40, 42, 73. Hourihane 56, Cole 83)

Burton Albion 0 

A goal-fest at Oakwell this afternoon saw Sam Winnall grab a hat-trick as well as goals from Hourihane and Cole. Having easily seen off the challenge of League Two Burton Albion, Danny Wilson will be happy that his side are in the hat for the next round of the FA Cup.

Piling on the pressure right from the off, the Reds immediately had their opponents on the back foot. Winning a corner in the 4th minute, referee David Webb waved away a handball claim after Burton’s Phil Edwards cleared the danger.

The Reds’ second corner of the game came only two minutes later when Trotta pulled the ball back for Winnall but the frontman’s shot was saved.

From the resulting corner, Trotta on his home debut saw a shot on the half volley blocked on the line as the Reds were unlucky not to be ahead within the first ten minutes.

On 19 minutes, Trotta again found himself on the ball following a good following a good flowing move from the Reds. After finding his way past the Burton defence, the loanee striker put his shot just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

The visitors almost took the lead on 26 minutes as Stuart Beavon scared the Reds defence, shooting from 20 yards. Thankfully for Barnsley, the striker’s effort whistled past Turnbull’s left hand post.

Counter-attacking from a Barnsley corner, Burton would have taken the lead in the 36th minute were it not for Ross Turnbull in the Reds’ goal making a fine fingertips save.

From the resulting corner, Turnbull made another equally impressive save, stopping Cansdell-Sherriff’s headed effort.

With five minutes left to play until half time, Sam Winnall poked the ball home after a melee of chances in the Burton area.

Initially claiming a penalty after Luke Berry appeared to be brought down in the Burton box, play appeared to stop before Winnall became alert to the chance and smartly put the Reds ahead.

Still fazed by Winnall’s first, Barnsley scored almost immediately after as Hourihane threaded a through ball in for Winnall and he happily fired past Lyness in the Burton goal for his second of the game.

The visitors could have got one back on the stroke of half time, Burton’s MacDonald unleashed a thunderous effort but it crashed off the bar and the Reds’ two goal lead remained intact.

Second Half-

Looking to see the game off, Barnsley came out for the second half looking for more goals. It wasn’t long until Sam Winnall had a chance to get his hat-trick but when one on one with Lyness, the ball wouldn’t settle at his feet.

Hourihane was next to test Lyness, shooting from 20 yards, the keeper parried the effort in what turned out to be a comfortable save. 

Only seconds later, Hourihane did get his goal. After Cranie did some good work down the right, Hourihane was able to latch on to the low cross after Winnall fooled the Burton defence with a good dummy.

Bringing on Keith Treacy just after the hour mark, Danny Wilson’s side then started to settle on their three goal lead as the game went into its final third.

Shortly after Burton went down to ten men after McGurk left the pitch due to injury, Winnall grabbed his hat-trick on 73 minutes shortly before being substituted for Leroy Lita.

Seeing his first effort hit the post, Winnall battled on and swept the ball home on the rebound for his seventh goal in seven games.

Introduced to the action for the final 10 minutes, Devante Cole got Barnsley’s fifth after some good build up play from Leroy Lita. Shooting across the Burton keeper from close range, Cole had no trouble in finding the back of the net.

In almost a carbon copy of his first, Cole could have put the Reds 6 in front but his effort on 87 minutes was ruled offside by the linesman on the far side as the game came to a close with the Reds in the ascendancy.


Reds: Turnbull, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Hourihane, Winnall (75), Williams (62), Trotta (79), Ramage, Bailey.

Subs: Davies, Treacy (62), Hemmings, Davies, M’Voto, Bree, Lita (75), Cole (79).

Burton: Lyness, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, Sharps (C), Bell (45), Weir, Beavon (59), Akins, MacDonald (67), McCrory, Palmer.

Subs: McLaughlin, Blyth, Knowles (45), McGurk (67), Slade, Doyle, Harness (59). 

Attendance:  5158

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account