Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Yeovil v Reds: Full Time

28 March 2014

Yeovil Town 1 (Ayling 70)

Reds  4 (O'Grady 53, 75, Lawrence 64, Jennings 78)

It was tight and tense at first, but Barnsley burst into gear to blow away Yeovil at Huish Park with some incredible and composed finishing seeing off the Glovers.

It wasn't the prettiest of starts at Huish Park - baked in the spring Somerset sunshine - as both sides looked to have set out simply not to lose.

On eight minutes O'Grady flashed a shot across goal that took a deflection on its way out for a corner.

Half chances for both sides were blocked away in the opening exchanges, but no clear-cut chance had presented itself to either side in the opening 18 minutes.

Etuhu did well to work a cross into O'Grady and his stopped header was clutched by Stech on 21 minutes.

Barnsley had to make a change early on as Marcus Pedersen was unable to shake off a knock, meaning the midweek goal-scorer, Reuben Noble-Lazarus, replaced him up front on 24 minutes.

Again the Reds were thwarted by a block when Noble-Lazarus beat the offside trap to reach O'Grady's threaded pass and attempted a low effort. On 31 minutes he then snatched a shot for his second half-chance in just over a minute, but sliced wide from 15 yards.

The game's first real chance fell for the hosts following for a well-worked set-piece. Luke Steele had to be on his guard with a fine save, denying Lawrence's effort that seemed destined for the top corner.

Second half

Joe Edwards almost got the second half off to a bang for the hosts but for an incredible interception from Stephen Dawson, just as Edward was set to pulled the trigger in the area a minute into the second half.

Eight minutes into the second half, Barnsley stole the lead after Chris O'Grady calmly lofted Stech following a bad backpass. Webster was the guilty culprit, his poor backpass wasn't given up on and the finish from O'Grady on the edge of the box was quality.

Just as the clock ticked past the hour, Lawrence let the ball run along the edge of the box before pulling the trigger, but his effort lacked power and Stech gathered with ease to his left.

On 64 minutes, Liam Lawrence went one better this time as it opened up for him 20 yards out. He struck hard and low, and a deflection took it over the despairing arm of Stech.

Just after Stech was almost caught out by Noble-Lazarus at one end, Luke Ayling pulled one back on 70 minutes for the Glovers. It was a crisp, low finish after it fell to the defender 15 yards out.

On 75 minutes, the game took another twist as O'Grady again showed his composure to finish and make it 3-1. The big man beat the offside trap to reach Jennings' through-ball, charging 40 yards with the ball and rounding Stech before finishing.

Surely it was game over on 78 minutes as Dale Jennings took matters into his own hands to hammer home a fourth. It brought applause from the home fans and sent the away following of 735 into ecstasy. O'Grady sent the former Tranmere man away down the left, he outpaced one man, took on the next, and hammered into the bottom corner.

Martin Woods came on for Reuben Noble-Lazarus eight less than eight minutes of normal time remaining.

With three minutes of normal time remaining, it should have been five after a series of passes from the Reds eventually fell to Cywka at the far post but he blazed Lawrence's pass well over when well positioned.

Miller summed up his and his side's afternoon as he had time to test Steele but lashed well over the bar after cutting in on his left.


Yeovil Town: Stech, Ayling, Webster, Duffy, McAllister, Dawson (Davis 63), Edwards, Ralls, Lawrence (Morgan 84), Moore (Hayter 59), Miller.

Subs: Hoskins, Lanzoni, Dunn, Twumasi.

Reds: Steele, Kennedy, M'voto, Nyatanga, Etuhu, Dawson, Lawrence (Frimpong 90+4), Cywka, Jennings, Pedersen (Noble-Lazarus 24 (Woods 83)), O'Grady.

Subs: Turner, McLaughlin, Proschwitz, Hassell.

Referee: Roger East

Attendance:  6579 (735 Reds)

Advertisement block