Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Huddersfield v Reds: Full Time

1 March 2014

Huddersfield Town 5 (Southern 30, Ward 32, Hammill 48, Clayton 58, Scannell 86)
Reds 0

For a stadium that has given travelling Reds fans incredible memories over the past few years, today's performance was certainly one to forget for all associated with Barnsley F.C.

In fairness the Reds could have been two up in the first 25 minutes, but collapsed after conceding a soft goal on the half-hour mark and allowing Huddersfield to run riot for 70 minutes.

It was a fast start that the Reds had the better of, putting the hosts under pressure early on. Jennings was looking lively down the left-hand channel for the Reds but the opening seven minutes saw no real, clear-cut chance.

Town got lucky when Ward blocked Cranie's clearance with his hands but, thankfully, justice was done as Steele denied his attempt when he went one-on-one with eight played.

The Reds responded as Hunt was put in down the right by Mellis, his cross was met by Proschwitz at the far stick but Smithies got down well to block with a brilliant save on ten minutes.

Naki Wells became the second Town player to control with his hand and get away with it before winning a corner for his side on 21 minutes.

The Reds came close again on 24 minutes but Southern got in front of Proschwitz before he could turn hom after O'Grady found Lawrence down the right for him to deliver for the German.

Again the Reds went close down the right and Hunt was the architecht after excellent work by Mellis. Hunt's cross was towards Proschwitz had too much pace on it and Town cleared. 

Huddersfield took the lead in messy fashion after a free-kick wasn't cleared. Keith Southern prodded home from two yards on 30 minutes and it was certainly against the run of play.

Barnsley barely touched the ball since Huddersfield's opener and the hosts were allowed the freedom of the right flank to add a second on 32 minutes. Danny Ward needed no second invitation to sweep home from six yards as Wells delivered. It was now a mammoth task for Danny's Reds.

Steele came to his side's rescue on 34 minutes with a decent save with his legs as Wells shot low towards goal. Barnsley were in pieces at two down, and should have been two up.

Huddersfield had two glorious chances to add a third and even a fourth before the break through Wells and Hammill. Former Barnsley man Hammill went in clear down the left but could only bend his shot wide from eight yards.

Second half

Huddersfield added a third and it just about summed up the Reds' performance and season so far. Ramage was under threat from Wells as he chased a punt down field on 48 minutes, the strike found Hammill whose shot was punched up into the air by Steele and trickled into the back of the net.

Alex Smithies pulled off a decent save for the hosts when Frimpong cracked a low shot at goal from 25 yards, turning the ball past the post.

Brek Shea came on for Dale Jennings with 55 played.

The afternoon got even worse for Luke Steele when he brought down Nahki Wells in the box. Clayton stepped up and powered into the top corner with 58 gone.

Barnsley looked fragile and it was a case of damaged limitations for the Reds. Paddy McCourt replaced Nick Proschwitz for the Reds on 61 minutes.

The Reds' misery got even worse when Sean Scannell had all the time in the world to pick up possession before picking his spot from 20 yards on 86 minutes.

Thankfully the final whistle was blown after three minutes of stoppage time to end the misery.


Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Clayton, Dixon, Gerrard, Southern, Ward (Lolley 86), C. Woods, Wallace, Norwood, Hammill (Scannell 69), Wells (Paterson 86)
Subs: Bennett, Clarke, Smith, Gobern.

Reds: Steele, Hunt, Kennedy, Cranie, Ramage, Mellis, Frimpong (Dawson 77), Jennings (Shea 55), Lawrence, O'Grady, Proschwitz (McCourt 61). 
Subs: Dibble, Dawson, Pedersen, M'voto, M. Woods. 

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 14, 236

Advertisement block