Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Hull City: Full Time From Oakwell

25 July 2014

Reds 1 (Hourihane 63) 
Hull City 1 (Long 48) 

The Reds enjoyed a great pre-season fixture with Premier League Hull City at Oakwell - baked in the July sunshine - playing out a 1-1 draw with both goals coming in the second half.

With just over two minutes on the watch Dale Jennings carried the ball forward before hammering towards the top corner from the right-hand side of the penalty area. Steve Harper made a smart save to beat the ball away and Conor Hourihane's attempt on the rebound was blocked for a corner.  

Barnsley's young midfield of Abbott and Digby were coping well with Danny Rose and Nana threatening the Hull back-line. 

The first threat for the visitors came from Elmohamady but he sliced wide at the far post after a deep cross from the left on 23 minutes. 

Davies' first save came on 26 minutes when Sone Aluko took aim from the edge of the area and arrowed towards goal but Davies palmed away for a corner. 

Second half

Reuben Noble-Lazarus, James Bailey and Sam Winnall all came on for the Reds, with Abbott, Digby and Boakye-Yiadom replaced.

The Tigers took the lead on 48 minutes with a goal from nothing. Shane Long showed why you should always close the 'keeper down as he blocked Davies' attempted clearance into the net.

A few minutes later Elmohamady did well to get a shot away from a tight angle, but Davies saved well and Nyatanga blocked Long on the rebound.

The Reds equalised on 63 minutes when Jennings sent a ball forward for Hourihane and Jakupovic was caught in no-man's land. Hourihane had the simple task of tapping home from 10 yards.

Two more changes for the Reds came inside the last 20, with Ross Turnbull replacing Adam Davies between the sticks and Rhys Oates coming on for Danny Rose.

Dale Jennings turned well on the left, evading his two markers, and charged forward before unleashing a 25-yard effort that Jakupovic got down to save on 74 minutes.

The winger was then replaced by youngster Dominic McHale out wide just after a water-break on 77 minutes.

Sam Winnall cracked in a free-kick from 25 yards and Jakupovic did well to deny the striker's low attempt after Hourihane had been brought down.

McHale latched on to Bailey's neat ball over the top and after the former Man City youngster cut inside, he laid the ball off for Winnall who flashed a shot just over the bar from 22 yards on 88 minutes.

Rhys Oates could have snatched a winner after cutting in onto his right but he dragged his effort wide from 12 yards.


Reds: Davies (Turnbull 71), Brown, Nyatanga, Cranie, Hourihane, Jennings (McHale 77), Digby (Bailey 46), Rose (Oates 71), Abbott (Winnall 46), Smith, Boakye-Yiadom (Noble-Lazarus 46). 
Subs: McKnight, Maris, Cowgill. 

Hull City: Harper (Jakupovic 71), Rosenior (Brady 71), Elmohamady, Chester, Ince, Huddlestone, Long (Dudgeon 71), Snodgrass (Boyd 71), Livermore, McShane, Aluko (Quinn 71). 
Subs: Brady, Sagbo, Townsend. 

Referee: Andy Madley 
Assistant Referees:Anthony Tankard and Gareth Rhodes 
Fourth Official: Steve Lynch.

Attendance: 2929 (451 away) 

Advertisement block