Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 04/01/2014

4 January 2014

Reds 1 (O'Brien 19)   
Coventry 2 (Moussa 78, Clarke 88)   

The magic of the FA Cup never gripped Oakwell as the Reds paid the price for not building on their lead against Coventry and were consequently dumped out of the Cup by the League One side.  

The opening exchanges were quiet in front of goal and by the 15-minute mark neither side's 'keeper had been tested. The Reds did execute some neat, one-touch football down the left flank with Mellis, Cywka, Perking and O'Grady getting involved but City were standing strong at the back.   

On 18 minutes Leon Clarke plucked the ball from the sky to volley at Steele from a tight angle after a deflected cross arrived from the right.   

With 19 gone the Reds took the lead after a brilliant ball from back to front from M'voto found Jim O'Brien in the area. The midfielder caught Murphy in two minds and sent a delightful finish beyond the Sky Blues 'keeper.   

Tomasz Cywka tried his shooting boots on 22 minutes with a wicked 25-yard free-kick that had to be well saved by Murphy away to his left.   

With 27 minutes Cywka was at it again as he went closer this time from distance. The Pole bent a delightful effort towards goal from 22 yards but his strike rattled the upper part of the crossbar. By this point the Reds were well in control as the game came to life.   

Four minutes before the break Peter Ramage, of all players, almost went one-on-one with Murphy following O'Grady's through-ball but the City 'keeper just about cleared the danger outside his area.   

A minimum of three minutes of stoppage time was added but the Reds never looked in any danger of conceding.   

Second half  

Three minutes into the second half saw Cywka snatch at a far post header after some neat footwork by O'Brien on the edge of the box.  

Slager saw a tame effort routinely held by Steele on 52 minutes after a quick break down the middle by the visitors, and the debutant was substituted five minutes later.  

David Perkins forced a save from Joe Murphy on 62 minutes after latching onto a chest-down from O'Grady.  

Marcus Pedersen replaced Chris O'Grady on 67 minutes for the Reds' first substitute of the match.  

Leon Clarke came the closest for the Sky Blues on 68 as he turned and shot through a crowd of bodies after a corner dropped his way, but his powerful strike clipped the bar on its way over.  

David Perkins made way for Jason Scotland as the Reds looked for a second but the next goal was for the Sky Blues. Franck Moussa sprang from nowhere to find himself on goal with Steele, and when it seemed the ball was caught under his feet he smashed into the roof of the net from just inside the area.  

The momentum was all with the Sky Blues and they were close to the winner on 86 minutes when Christie turned to fire at goal but the ball fizzed wide of the far stick.  

On 88 minutes Leon Clarke raced through and fired in low past Steele for his 18th of the season and it has to be said the Sky Blues deserved it considering the pressure they'd kept up on the Reds.  

Four minutes of stoppage time was indicated by the fourth official and the Reds could have levelled had Mellis shot either side of Murphy but it wasn't to be and the Reds were out of the Cup.  


Reds: Steele, O'Grady (Pedersen 67), Dawson, Kennedy, Perkins (Scotland 77), Cranie, Mellis, M'voto, Cywka, O'Brien, Ramage.    
Subs: Dibble, Jennings, Nyatanga, McCourt, Etuhu.    

Coventry: Murphy, Christie, Adams, Willis, Webster, Baker, Fleck, Daniels, Moussa, Clarke, Slager (Barton 57).    
Subs: Phillips, Haynes, Urquhart, Garner, Maund, Burge,    

Referee: Carl Boyeson   
Assistant Referees: Matthew Bristow & Paul Graham.  

Attendance: 7,439  

Man of the match sponsored by Napoleon's: Peter Ramage

Advertisement block