Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wigan v Reds: Full Time

18 February 2014

Wigan 2 (Maynard 35, Waghorn 44) 
Reds 0 

Barnsley gave it a go in the second half but Wigan were comfortable in claiming all the points after a joyous spell down their left in the first half - carving out two simple goals to undo the Reds in the space of nine minutes.

The hosts started the brighter of the two sides and were looking a threat down their left-hand side but the Reds had a sniff at the other end as Jennings burst forward on five minutes only for his pull-back to be well cleared with O'Grady lurking. 

Ben Watson found space on the left behind McLaughlin and Woods but his cross was too fierce for anyone to latch onto with eight minutes on the watch. 

On 11 minutes great build-up play from the Reds down the left saw Proschwitz flash a header just over the bar. O'Grady laid the ball off to Kennedy on the run and his delivery was glanced inches over from eight yards by the German. 

There was a lengthy beak in play when Martin Woods and Ben Watson collided in a committed but fair challenge from both midfielders, which saw the Latics man receive extensive treatment before being carried off on a stretcher. Josh McEachran replaced Watson for the home side on 20 minutes but Woods recovered after treatment for the Reds. 

Luke Steele spared Tom Kennedy's blushes when he just about managed to smother a backpass that Nicky Maynard almost pounced on. 

The Reds did ease into the midway mark of the first half by keeping the ball well, as the game still only had presented the one clear-cut chance for Proschwitz. 

The striker did scoop an effort well over on 26 minutes after two excellent flicks from Woods and O'Grady allowed the forward a half chance. 

Wigan's best chance came when they got in down the left-hand side once more, and Chris McCann could only blaze McClean's pinpoint deliver over the bar on 29 minutes. 

Again Latics came close after getting in down Barnsley's right - a perfect ball forward for Beausejour who couldn't curl his effort on target past the advancing Steele. 

It was obvious a goal would come from Wigan's left and it did on 35 minutes. Nicky Maynard had the simple task of digging out a finish from inside the six-yard box after Beausejour ghosted into the area from the left. 

Wigan were having a party down the left and McClean had enough time to pick his spot - the head of Martyn Waghorn - who buried his free header for 2-0 on 44 minutes. 

Five minutes of stoppage time was added to the end of the first half. 

Al Habsi flapped at a deflected cross into the path of O'Brien but his shot lacked the conviction to apply the finishing touch. 

Second half

The Reds made a double change at the break as the struggling McLaughlin was replaced by Lewin Nyatanga and Chris O'Grady was taken off for Brek Shea.

Kennedy created a counter on 51 minutes, allowing Jennings to deliver for Woods who volleyed over after allowing the ball to drop just inside the area.

A Jim O'Brien free-kick was blocked into the path of Brek Shea on 61 minutes but he couldn't connect to finish from inside the six-yard box. Three minutes later Paddy McCourt was introduced for the Reds' final change, as he replaced Martin Woods.

Manny Frimpong tried his luck from a 30-yard free-kick but his effort deflected onto the roof of the net as the Reds looked to reward their 961-strong faithful who kept singing in the second half despite their side's deficit.

A right-wing delivery from Jennings was begging to be turned in but it was just in front of Proschwitz and the ball was cleared for a corner on 74 minutes before Brek Shea could pounce.

Again Jennings delivered a brilliant cross from the right but Proschwitz's header flashed wide of the far post with Al Habsi beaten with 15 left on the watch.

O'Brien picked out Shea on the run down the right and after expertly taking the ball down, he cut inside only to thunder his effort over the bar.

Wigan substitute Roger Espinoza left Paddy McCourt in a heap on the deck after the ex-Celtic man was proving to be the main influence from midfield.

Paddy McCourt was back on his feet and splitting the Wigan defence open with a brilliant ball for Proschwitz but he couldn't keep his 87th-minute shot down.

Four minutes of stoppage time was added but the Reds failed to trouble Al Habsi in the Wigan goal.


Wigan: Al Habsi, Perch, Boyce, Barnett, Beausejour, McCann, Watson (McEachran 20 (Fortune 74)), McArthur, McClean, Waghorn, Maynard (Espinoza 74).
Subs: Nicholls, Crainey, Gomez, Kiernan, Fortune.  

Reds: Steele, O'Brien, McLaughlin (Nyatanga 46), Ramage, Proschwitz, O'Grady (Shea 46), Cranie, Woods (McCourt 64), Jennings, Kennedy, Frimpong.  
Subs: Turner, Cywka, McCourt, Lawrence, Dawson.  

Referee: Nigel Miller

Attendance: 14, 121 (961 Reds)

Advertisement block