Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds' Last Visit To Wigan

18 February 2014

Club News

Reds' Last Visit To Wigan

18 February 2014

Wigan Athletic v Reds - Re-Wind

The Reds head to Wigan for the first time in almost 11 years tonight in the Sky bet Championship.

Glyn Hodges took charge of the Tykes for this final clash of the 2002/03 season, where the Reds finished in 19th place - four points clear of relegation.

Catch the report from the archive from that match between the Latics and Reds below.

Saturday 3rd May, 2003
JJB Stadium
Nationwide Division Two


BARNSLEY ended the season with a narrow defeat at the JJB Stadium this afternoon but the Reds gave as good as they got against the champions.

Reds boss Glyn Hodges handed a surprise debut to Academy starlet Nicky Wroe in midfield. The 17-year-old replaced the injured Alex Neil with Dean Gorre also coming into the team at the expense of Gary Jones. Robbie Williams started the game at left wing back and Bruce Dyer returned up front. David Mulligan and Mike Sheron missed out through injury.

Former Reds full back Nicky Eaden started the game for the champions as Wigan looked to break the 100-point barrier.

Both teams started the game brightly and Dyer forced Filan into a smart save with a low shot on three minutes. The Latics responded well with Jimmy Bullard seeing a well-hit effort blocked away by Neil Austin a minute later before Lee McCulloch flashed a header high over Matt Ghent's cross bar.

Wigan went even closer on six minutes when Gary Teale skipped past Williams on the left before hitting a shot inches wide of the far post as the Reds struggled to get to grips with the home side's early pace.

The opening goal came on 12 minutes and it was a model of precision passing and incisive attacking from the home side. Excellent play through the heart of the Reds defence by Tony Dinning, Neil Roberts and Steve McMillan that opened up space and Dinning finished well from the edge of the area.

Dyer then went close to heading an equaliser a minute later from Mitch Ward's free kick only for play to be brought back for an infringement in the penalty area.

More quick thinking by Bullard again saw the Reds’ backline split open on 18 minutes but Roberts was unlucky to see his header blocked away and eventually cleared by Chris Morgan. McCulloch then forced Ghent into a smart save at his near post after making a chance out of nothing in the area a minute later.

Barnsley refused to roll over and die just to be part of the Wigan championship party and Kevin Betsy's break into the Latics area on 21 minutes brought a fine diving save from Filan. Matt Jackson was alert enough to clear.

Betsy again broke past the Wigan midfield a minute later but again his low shot was saved by Filan and cleared at the second attempt.

Austin then brought a wild cheer from the JJB faithful on 23 minutes for a lunging tackle on Teale that took the ball, player and linesman.

Dinning went close again on 27 minutes with a dipping shot from the edge of the area that flew just wide of the post.

Betsy again got in behind the Wigan defence on the half hour after a neat through ball by Dyer but rushing his shot and lashed his effort well wide.

The Reds had a shout for a penalty waved away on 38 minutes as Betsy's turn in the area was halted by Jackson's challenge but the referee saw nothing wrong in the Wigan skipper's attempt to get the ball.

Wroe almost made a name for himself on 41 minutes with a neat pass that freed Betsy in the area again but Filan did well to save the striker's low shot. Betsy got through again in stoppage time but saw another shot blocked away by the Wigan defence.

Wigan started the second half well and good play by Peter Kennedy down the left gave Antony Kay problems on 47 minutes and the winger crossed well but Roberts put his acrobatic volley wide of the target.

Barnsley again pushed forward and Betsy played Dyer in on 53 minutes and the striker's shot beat Filan but could not get past four Wigan defenders on the goal line.

Roberts combined well in the area on 57 minutes to create an opening but his low shot struck the foot of Ghent's post before rolling away to safety.

Betsy and Dyer then combined to play the ball back to Mitch Ward on the hour mark but the midfielder's effort from 20-yards flew high over Filan's goal.

Wigan pushed forward and Teale saw a good cross hooked away off the line by Kevin Donovan on 64 minutes. A minute later Kennedy forced Ghent into a stunning one-handed save with a shot from 12-yards after the ball fell to the winger in the area.

Teale again caused problems down the right on 67 minutes and his deep cross found McCulloch in space but the striker managed to fire high over the bar from just five yards out.

Ghent was called into action again on 72 minutes when the young Reds keeper had to be at his best to tip Roberts' volley over.

The Reds did their best to get something out of the game with Ward again going close with a 25-yard shot after Donovan's corner had only been half cleared on 78 minutes. Williams then went close with a free kick that just dropped onto the top of the net a minute later after Betsy had been fouled 30-yards from goal.

The Reds’ last throw of the dice came on 84 minutes when Player Of The Year Dyer was substituted and replaced by 'super sub' Isaiah Rankin. Rankin's first action was to give away a free kick on the area as he chased Rory Fallon's knockdown two minutes later.


WIGAN ATHLETIC: Filan, Eaden, McMillan, Breckin, Jackson, Teale, Dinning, Bullard, Kennedy, McCulloch, Roberts.
Subs: Flynn, Baines, Mitchell, Moore, Lynch.

BARNSLEY: Ghent, Donovan, Kay, Morgan, Austin, Williams, Ward, Gorre (Fallon 70), Wroe, Dyer (Rankin 84), Betsy.
Subs: Parry, Bertos, O'Callaghan.
Attendance: 12, 537.

Referee: Grant Hegley

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account