Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/02/2014

22 February 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 22/02/2014

22 February 2014

Reds 1 (O'Brien 4)  
Millwall 0  

Barnsley earned a priceless three points against fellow strugglers Millwall at Oakwell as Jim O'Brien's early goal won it for the Reds. 

The Reds got off to the perfect start with an early goal that came on four minutes from Jim O'Brien. Cranie threaded the ball through for the midfielder and O'Brien was composed enough to round Lions 'keeper Forde and tuck home.  

Eleven minutes later it probably should have been two had Jennings connected better with his shot. The winger burst onto Nick Proschwitz's pass down the left to go one-on-one but scuffed his strike at Forde.  

The visitors had a scramble in the Barnsley box but a series of efforts were blocked by Cranie twice on the deck and Emmanuel Frimpong.  

DJ Campbell's effort on 23 minutes went wide after Steele had come far to clear, only for Ramage's attempted clearance sliced into the striker's path out wide.  

The game turned scrappy around the half-hour mark with a few mis-controls and clearances from both sides.  

Steve Morison latched on to a deep cross from the left, forcing Steele to turn the ball past the post on 33 minutes.  

Steele pulled an even better save out of the bag on 35 minutes as Fredericks crossed from Campbell and his attempt was brilliantly turned away by the Reds' number one.  

Second half 

Jacob Mellis was replaced at half time by Stephen Dawson as the Reds started brightly in the second half and took the game to Millwall looking for a second. 

On 55 minutes a Kennedy corner was met by a combination of Ramage and Cranie at the far stick but neither could force the ball home with a crowd of bodies in the way. 

Stephen Dawson tried his luck from distance twice but drilled over on both occasions - the second on 57 minutes as the Reds built up nicely from Hunt at right-back. 

Brek Shea was introduced for Nick Proschwitz - who had put in a brilliant shift up top - with just less than half an hour to go. 

It was all Barnsley and they needed to build on their pressure going forward. A delivery from Hunt found O'Grady but he volleyed thin air on 65 minutes, but the ball was at an awkward height for the striker. 

On 72 minutes McDonald kept a seemingly dead ball alive to cross for Campbell but his point blank strike was straight at Steele at his near post. 

Simeon Jackson replaced Scott McDonald for the visitors with 17 minutes left. 

On 77 minutes a real mix-up for Millwall saw O'Grady intercept a pass to Forde 25 yards out but his attempt into an empty net was blocked before O'Brien's rebound was gathered by the Lions 'keeper. 

Unbelievably a second goal was denied as the Reds came forward from the right with Frimpong. His cross laid into the path of Jennings by Shea but his effort was saved before O'Grady's rebound attempt was cleared practically on the line with 10 minutes left. 

A minimum of four minutes of stoppage time was added as the Reds looked to see out the match. 


Barnsley Starting XI: Steele, Ramage, Kennedy, Cranie (C), O'Brien, Mellis (Dawson 46), Hunt, Frimpong, Jennings, O'Grady, Proschwitz (Shea 62).
Subs: Turner, Woods, Lawrence, McCourt, Cywka.

Millwall Starting XI: Forde, Shittu (C), Morison, Woolford, Lowry , Fredericks, Williams, Campbell, McDonald (Jackson 73), Malone (Bessone 86), Upson (Feeney 57).
Subs: Bywater, Dunne, Easter, Abdou. 

Attendance: 9653 (535 away) 

Man of the match (sponsored by Napoloens): Jim O'Brien.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account