Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/12/2014

26 December 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 26/12/2014

26 December 2014

Preston 1 (Gallagher pen 16)
Reds 0

Barnsley never got going in Preston and only had themselves to blame having struggled to retain possession in the middle of the park and up front.

After both sides saw efforts sail over the bar early on, the Reds should have taken the lead on five minutes through Leroy Lita.

Berry was played in down the right, his pull-back was on a plate for Lita 12 yards out but he scuffed wide with practically just the 'keeper to beat.

The Reds looked bright and creative, with Hemmings dropping short to help set up Barnsley attacks.

Preston won a free-kick in a dangerous area on 10 minutes that Gallagher delivered for Beckford in the box. The former Leeds man headed straight at Davies from 12 yards.

The hosts were handed a penalty after Barnsley failed to clear a deep corner at the second attempt. Berry brought Welsh down in the area and Gallagher was given a free shot at goal from 12 yards. He sent Davies the wrong way for 1-0.

Beckford got in behind the Reds again on 21 minutes but after pulling back from the byline, his shot was blocked for a corner by Ramage.

Adam Davies made a decent save on 25 minutes from Kilkenny's effort and Kevin Davies couldn't turn home the rebound.

Barnsley were looking comfortable with the ball but were struggling to get hold of the second balls and ricochets. Gallagher struck at Holgate at one end as Hourihane drilled wide at the other with the clock ticking towards half time.

Second half

With six minutes gone in the second half, Conor Hourihane split the Preston defence open with a great threaded ball for Jennings. The winger, however, took on a shot first time, which was poor, when Hemmings was well positioned for a tap in.

At the other end, Beckford was played in the left-hand side of the box by Kevin Davies, but Ramage recovered well to block into the arms of the Barnsley 'keeper.

Humphrey tried his luck from the edge of the box after cutting in from the right but cracked well over the bar.

On 56 minutes, defender George Williams was introduced for his league and Barnsley debut as he replaced James Bailey to go out wide right.

The home side saw Calum Woods drift in from the right and took the ball past two defenders before hammering towards goal, but Ramage got in the way once more to block for a corner on 63 minutes.

A second Barnsley change was made on 67 minutes as Rhys Oates replaced Kane Hemmings in attack.

With 13 minutes left of normal time, the Reds used their third and final change as Marcello Trotta replaced Leroy Lita up top.

George Smith put in a superb delivery from the left on 83 minutes that Trotta connected with, but Oates couldn't latch onto the knock down inside the six-yard box.

Jut after four minutes of stoppage time was indicated, Conor Hourihane took aim from 25 yards and his effort seemed destined for the top corner but Stuckmann tipped the ball out for a corner with a wonderful save.


Preston: Stuckmann, Laird, Clarke, Huntington, Woods, Humphrey, Kilkenny, Welsh, Gallagher (Hayhurst 80), K.Davies, Beckford (Littla 80).
Subs: Jones, Buchanan, King, Browne, Brownhill.

Reds: Davies, Berry, Nyatanga, Hourihane, Hemmings (Oates 67), Jennings, Ramage, Smith, Holgate, Bailey (Williams 56), Lita (Trotta 77).
Subs: Dibble, Abbott, Digby, Cowgill.

Referee: P. Tierney.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account