Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/12/2014

7 December 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 07/12/2014

7 December 2014

Reds 0
Chester 0

Barnsley are lucky to still be in the FA Cup after being outfought by Conference side Chester at Oakwell and will face a replay at the Deva Stadium.

It could have been different as both sides went close - more so the Reds at the death - but a tough trip is on the cards to the home of Chester.

With just over five minutes in Brad Abbott tried to latch onto a through-ball but Worsnop gathered at the edge of the area but took a knock for his troubles.

A lengthy break in play eventually saw the goalkeeper return to action after some attention from the Physios.

A shout for a penalty was turned down by the referee after Nyatanga went tumbling under the close attention of Matt Brown as the defender tried to reach Conor Hourihane's corner on 12 minutes.

On the stroke of 15 minutes Worsnop was forced into the first save of the match and it was a smart stop to deny Kane Hemmings. Lita flicked the ball into his fellow striker's path on the edge of the box but he placed effort was well held by Worsnop low to his left.

A big concern was the withdrawal of Peter Ramage on 18 minutes with what seemed to be a reoccurrence of a thigh injury. Reece Brown replaced him on 18 minutes.

Chester came close to opening the scoring through a deflected effort from Craig Mahon on 22 minutes. The Irishman dashed down the left and his cross-shot was pushed onto the bar by Ross Turnbull with the rebound, thankfully, cleared.

The Reds went straight up to the other and and Marcello Trotta fired in a low effort from 20 yards but it was never going to trouble Worsnop as it zipped wide on 23 minutes.

Again Trotta was the man to get a shot away and this time it was on target to force a save by Worsnop. Hemmings turned well on 34 minutes and eventually fed the Italian on the right who came in onto his left but saw his strike held by the Chester 'keeper.

Kane Hemmings got a decent strike away from inside the right-hand side of the area but Charnock threw himself in the way to get a good block in after Barnsley had countered through Hourihane on the left.

Five minutes of stoppage time was added but the Reds were growing increasingly frustrated at a resolute Chester side and couldn't find the breakthrough before half time.

Second half

Four minutes into the second half and Chester really took the game to Barnsley with Craig Mahon the thorn in their side. He anticipated the pass into Brown and intercepted before charging forward down the left channel. When he jinked his way into the box, his curled effort was turned past the post by Turnbull.

Hourihane sent a low corner towards the near post that Trotta peeled off his man to meet but he couldn't divert his effort on target with 52 gone.

The visitors were first to every ball and didn't give the Reds an inch. John Rooney was next to have a go but Cranie got a block in just as it seemed the former Barnsley's man's strike was to test Turnbull.

Two minutes before the hour Danny Wilson made a tactical change as Dale Jennings replaced Brad Abbott.

The introduction of Dale Jennings had injected some life into the Reds and Berry saw his 20-yard shot deflect wide after he did well to win the ball for himself down the centre.

The Reds weren't doing themselves justice as stray passes were flying everywhere but, thankfully, Chester were failing to capitalise.

A Hourihane delivery seemed destined to end in the net as Lita attacked the ball but the 'keeper got a hand to it on 72 minutes. Hemmings reacted quickest but he couldn't steer his shot on target.

Another effort had to be cleared off Barnsley's line as Charnock rose highest to nod at goal but Dudgeon was on hand again to hack clear.

At one end Jennings was denied a penalty and couldn't believe it then the Chester fans thoughts their side had taken the lead through McConville but the flag went up for offside.

Dale Jennings produced a flash of brilliance on 81 minutes after taking down Treacy's switch-ball. After flicking the ball over his man, somehow his left-footed effort zipped the wrong side of the post.

The big chance came on 85 minutes when Conor Hourihane raced through on goal and had Hemmings to his right but the Reds' top scorer was thwarted by Worsnop who was enjoying an incredible game.

Both sides were going for the winner and Mahon cracked a vicious strike at goal that dipped just over the bar from 25 yards on 89 minutes.

Just two minutes of stoppage time was added as the home crowd grew unsettled.

Somehow the Reds were denied a winner in stoppage time when Trotta's shot was saved only for Hemmings' effort into the ground and over Worsnop to be cleared off the line.


Reds: Turnbull, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie, Hourihane, Hemmings, Ramage (Brown 19), Abbott (Jennings 58), Trotta, Lita (Treacy 76).
Subs: Digby, Holgate, Cowgill, Davies.

Chester: Worsnop, Kay, Charnock, Brown, G. Roberts, Heneghan, Mahon, James, Rooney, McConville, Hobson.
Subs: C. Roberts, Touray, Harrison, Greenhop, Menagh, Riley, Blake.

Referee: Darren Handley
Assistant Referees: Kevin Mattocks & Paul Marsden
Fourth Official: Alix Pashley

Attendance: 7227 (2143 Chester)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account